Solo Diving, How about WHY we should not instead of just NO you should not.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rec Diver:
About three months ago an instructor drowned in a swiming pool that had only four feet of water. There were two instructors and a class of newly trained divers in the pool with him. I wonder why with all those buddies he still died. They don't know why either, yet they were only a few feet away. Maybe we should all learn to be self-effiecient, then we don't have to worry about being saved, we would be able to save ourselves. What a concept that would be, saving yourself!

Maybe we're thinking about differernt cases, but I thought that the instructor who died in the pool was using a rebreather and died from hypoxia.

Doesn't change your point about being self-sufficient, which I agree with.

Safe ascents,
Grier

GrierHPharmD:
Maybe we're thinking about differernt cases, but I thought that the instructor who died in the pool was using a rebreather and died from hypoxia.

Doesn't change your point about being self-sufficient, which I agree with.

Safe ascents,
Grier

You are correct.

Rec Diver:
About three months ago an instructor drowned in a swiming pool that had only four feet of water. There were two instructors and a class of newly trained divers in the pool with him. I wonder why with all those buddies he still died. They don't know why either, yet they were only a few feet away. Maybe we should all learn to be self-effiecient, then we don't have to worry about being saved, we would be able to save ourselves. What a concept that would be, saving yourself!
Um ... self-sufficiency won't save you if you're having a heart attack ... but having someone pull you out of the water, perform CPR, call 911, and perhaps use an AED to get your heart beating again might ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Um ... self-sufficiency won't save you if you're having a heart attack ... but having someone pull you out of the water, perform CPR, call 911, and perhaps use an AED to get your heart beating again might ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just have to make one point. Sometimes certain types of people just really enjoy and need to be alone occasionally and so they decide that it is worth the risk just to be in their own world, away from all the tank-rappers... And lets be honest, what do you think the chances really are that someone will have an AED right there when your heart fibrillates?....I don't mean theoretically, I mean real-life?

catherine96821:
I just have to make one point. Sometimes certain types of people just really enjoy and need to be alone occasionally and so they decide that it is worth the risk just to be in their own world, away from all the tank-rappers... And lets be honest, what do you think the chances really are that someone will have an AED right there when your heart fibrillates?....I don't mean theoretically, I mean real-life?
I personally agree that everyone should be perfectly allowed to take whatever risks they want as long as they understand those risks.

It sounds like both of us would agree with each other, and disagree with those like Rec Diver. We would say that solo diving is indeed riskier and more likely to kill you, even when you do everything very very well.

Others might say that solo diving is not riskier, or is indeed safer, than diving with a good, trained buddy.

Back
Top Bottom