Solo Diving, How about WHY we should not instead of just NO you should not.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Anyone who gets really involved with a camera, especially shooting macro, is diving solo to some extent. Even if I have a buddy watching my back, he doesn't really have one, does he?
That depends on who you're diving with. I dive regularly with photographers. Some view the entire dive through the lens of a camera, and if I ceased to exist, they would not even notice till the dive was over. Others ... including one professional photographer I dive with regularly ... have training that enables them to keep a watchful eye out for both photography subjects and dive buddies ... of course, I have the same training, and make sure to keep myself where I can be seen in his peripheral vision at all times. Sometimes I even dive as part of a 3-person team where both of my dive buddies are engaged in photography ... and we all keep an eye on each other just fine.

Point is diving solo is a choice ... and in this case you can choose whether to adapt your diving style to fit the circumstances or to use the circumstancs to rationalize your diving style ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DavidHickey:
For instance my dives to date have been in shallow gravel pits.

I'm all for conservatism but that sounds like a pretty dry dive ;0)

MikeFerrara:
Another thing I would note here is that some of our local quarries have some of the highest accident rates. A few are regular slaughter houses some years. Even though they lack things like tides, currents and rough seas, some are deep, cold and amoung the few places that average divers actually dive without some level of supervision.

This may be a little off the point but it sounds like you have experience with quarries, so beyond the above: What would you consider the major risk/cause of accidents associated with quarries?

I've been taught since childhood to respect them because they're cold - but so is the winter sea where I live (I'm aware of the salt/temperature difference).

regards

ScubaSixString:
And unfortunantly thats what happens. I'm not trying to rationalize soloing. Just trying to point out that people who would turn pale at the thought of *BUM BUM BUUUUUUMMMMMMM* solo diving... are completly fine with hopping in the water with someone they met 10 minutes ago on their one dive of the year.

I'm undecided on the subject but that carelessness in the choice of buddy is a very real phenomenon is technically not an argument for solo diving nor against the buddy system.

It's just carelessness - which we should strive to avoid in either case.

regards

Santa:
I'm all for conservatism but that sounds like a pretty dry dive ;0)

Yep!!! Unforutnately being land locked in the big ole USA does not give me many other options short of vacations. Nothing wrong with a 25 foot shallow quarry dive with 3 feet of visibility. As long as I'm blowing bubbles underwater and see an occasional fish I have a great time!!! Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm far from having the experience to solo dive, but I just think with my personality "not being anti social I just sometimes like the peace and quiet of doing things myself sometimes" that solo diving would be something that will interest me down the road as I progress.

ranger979:
What I find interesting is why the diving industry makes it such a taboo while other equally or more dangerous activities don't seem to make a big deal of it, climbing, flying, backcountry hiking, etc.
There is an elevation of risk in some circumstances , but it is not an issue if the risk is managed and is not deemed excessive. Also sometimes what appears to be riskier really is not.

For example single engine aircraft accident rates have historically always been better than twin engine aircraft accident rates. This is conunter intuitive if you restrict yourself to only looking at the obvious fact that a twin engine aircraft has one more engine and the theoretical ability to continue flying in the event of an engine failure.

But there are other less obvious factors at work. A pilot in a single engine aircraft has a more limited set of options when the engine quits and if they are unable to get a restart, they quickly move to identify a spot to make an emergency landing as there is never any remaining doubt they are going down. And during that emergency landing, they are in a lighter aircraft that lands at a slower speed which reduces the energy that needs to be dissipated and improves surviveability exponentially.

In constrast in a twin, there is usually a belief that you can stay in the air, but this is often more a case of being able to extend your glide at higher altitudes, higher temps, and/or higher loaded weights. Flying a twin on one engine is also more demanding with a much increased potential to depart from controlled flight if you screw it up. So when an engine fails on a twin, you often have a pilot in denial trying to keep a twin in the air when they really ought to be finding a place to put it down. I know of at least one case with airframe damage accompanying an engine/propeller failure where the pilots would have been far better off pulling the power back on both engines rather than attempting to fly on one.

If you want to get really counter intuitive, one year a single engine helicopter, the Bell 206, had the best overall safety rate (and it usually ranks up there as being one of the safest aircraft anyway). Most uninformed people think helicopters just more or less fall out of the sky when the engine fails.

I think the same types of misconceptions and limited views are at work in the solo/buddy diving argument and I think we also tend to ignore or downplay the increased risks in some circumstances in buddy diving.

And Personally, I get very careful about legislating or mandating what anyone else does. For example, people on motorcyles are more likely to be killed in the event of an accident. Conversely, people who drive SUV's are 3 times more likely to kill someone else in a smaller vehicle in an accident. Other than some elements insisting on helmet laws, no one is restricting motor cycle use or sales and absolutely no one is pointing out safety risks associated on what is the largest becoming the largest segments of the US auto market. So as long as successful middle aged men are buying harleys for themselves and sending their teen age daughters out on the roads in SUV's, I think we can live with solo (or buddy) diving.

No matter what you do, it is probably dangerous from someone's point of view, but I would much rather accept an elevated level of personal risk than a reduced level of personal freedom.

ranger979:
The buddy system is generally a great system and could eliminate a lot of unnecessary death if used throughout your life. Let's face it, heart attack, stroke, hitting your head on a rock could happen as you walk to the bathroom, well maybe not the rock thing, having a buddy could potentially save your life...The point is, you need to look at the risks and decide what risks you are willing to take. Some of these risks you are going to think to minor to worry about and take.
I agree with you everywere but the heart attack. If you have a heart attack underwater during a dive, your chance of survival is still very small even with a buddy along to "help". The odds are good that the buddy's help will essentially be one of recovering your body and there is always the risk of a double fatality if the buddy panicks and or is stressed and is in an equally poor cardiovascular situation. In the case of a solo diver, the dive rescue team will at least get some valuable experience in body recovery.

DA Aquamaster:
In the case of a solo diver, the dive rescue team will at least get some valuable experience in body recovery.

Can I make that my sig?

Probably not, it's one of those things that sends an entirely different message when read out of context.

cnctina:
If your buddy team system breaks down, are you and your buddy diving solo?
No. You and your buddy are just "alone" and need to surface to regroup if you don't find each other in about a minute.

Unless of course you and your buddy are properly trained and equipped for solo diving, each of you are maintining your own navigation and it was previously agreed that if a separation occurred, you would both continue solo. But that is probably more accurately described as a group solo dive rather than a buddy dive as all the requirements in terms of training, equipment, redundancy, situational evaluation and planning were in place before the dive ever started.

just kidding DA,

I agree that folks should do what they please as long as they are informed.

What pissesd me off was that about 2 years ago Rodales Scubadiving magazine had an article about solo diving and how much better it is. On the next page an ad for SDI and their then new solo course. If you look at the mags target audiance I belive that was an unethical thing to do. Writing articles that are "sponsored".

When you see folks who on SB say the have 16-50 dives asking about going solo and more experianced folks telling them its even safer than having a buddy, that makes them think about it more and more. How many divers w/ 50-100 dives have you met that think they are allready "seasoned vets". I had a guy walk into the shop who was cert the month prior (4 day class), he dives solo now but can barely set up his gear. He thinks that people who have accidents are stupid.

I know that alot of folks w/ alot more experiance than I have dive solo and thats their call, they've been around and are qualified to asses the risk. However alot of divers are not.

Back
Top Bottom