Solo diving class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use something better than a buddy, ...
a tender.

For nasty water, and working dives a tender on the surface end of a LOOOOOOOONG hose is a great setup. It does require proper training.

I like the comment that if you need the solo diving course you shouldn't. OTOH If you do want to dive solo the course *may* be a good thing as it may help you think of more things you need to consider. Unless *everything* underwater is smooth, easy and automatic it is not time yet to seriously think of diving solo.

Do what you want but know what you are doing.

Genesis:
Yes.

The rest is awful thin, IMHO, but what do I know. I didn't pass (or even take) the class. :D

Yes but I even want to hear from you Karl as you actually solo dive and aren't dead yet :54:

Two years ago just after I got cleared to teach this specialty a very good friend of mine died while solo diving and since that time I have had no desire to teach solo.

Time of course heals all wounds and diver error/planning was ultimately the problem in his accident so I have been thinking about possibly teaching it this summer.(with prejudice)

The breathing rate and gas planning focus you mention are excellent points and the type of feedback that is good to hear as it is easy as an instructor to get stuck in the " what does the standard say?" trap and I always try and go beyond what the minimums are and inject some local reality.

Any and all ideas and comments are appreciated, so please keep them coming.

Dive Source:
Yes but I even want to hear from you Karl as you actually solo dive and aren't dead yet :54:

Every one who solo dives is still alive.

CHSZDRAB:
Hello Jester,

Should I sign up for the advance Saltwater Solo Diver Specialty with my instructor?

See you underwater,

Charlyn

Sounds like your instructor is going to be quite busy already!

See ya Sunday!

S C:
Sorry my bad, I mean 50 certification.

http://www.tdicanada.com/courses/sdi/solo.pdf

I believed there are instructor out there could done 50 certification within 3 months. My point is can an instructor offer good solo diving course with 50 certification.

Other prerequisite is a year experience minimum as instructor.

Why would you consider solo diving a different course than all the others. Would you think and instructor could offer a good rescue course with 50 certs? Or a good (fill in the blank) course? I would think experience would count across the board and not just for this one particular course. Then you get in to the whole "some are better instructors than others" discussion.

glbirch:
Other prerequisite is a year experience minimum as instructor.

Why would you consider solo diving a different course than all the others. Would you think and instructor could offer a good rescue course with 50 certs? Or a good (fill in the blank) course? I would think experience would count across the board and not just for this one particular course. Then you get in to the whole "some are better instructors than others" discussion.

You are right, however, solo diving need more preparation and more backup plan. I will not take the course with a new instructor with minimum of 50 certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom