Solo Diving and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FranzoMCK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I wouldlike to know if it is a good idea to take a PADI SelfReliant Dive Course to improve my skills as u/w photographer or it would put me more in risk and distract me because of the extra gear?
thanks

A photography course would be a good way to improve your skills as an underwater photographer. A buoyancy class might be, as well, if your buoyancy control is lacking. The self-reliant dive course might conceivably enhance your odds of surviving your solo dives (or not—I am not familiar with the course), but I doubt it will improve your pictures.

Personally, I have more faith in the SDI solo course than the PADI Self-Reliant. Photographers, especially macro photographers, are usually the first to become solo divers even if they won’t admit it. Let face it, it takes patience to get good shots, which is terminally boring for a buddy.

The indirect advantage of a solo course for photographers are you “may” become more comfortable solo (so concentration on photography can increase), you don’t have to pretend to buddy dive on charters and liveaboards (sometimes C-card required), and you will be better prepared to deal with those rare cases where the training comes into play. You could easily learn everything you need to know with research and thinking about it, but the C-card may still be needed.

Maybe I don't understand the original post. Have you already begun to do your photography dives solo? If not, I don't think a solo diving class is something you would get a great deal out of, except for some dive planning stuff. What you need is the ability to tolerate task-loading -- to pursue your photography while remaining a good (or reasonably good) buddy. It is possible. It does take dedication, and training helps.

Thank you Akimbo,
I have been diving alone lately in shallow waters for Macro photography but I want to do it The Wright Way.
I also try to keep my equipment as simple as possible but solo diving requires extra gear.
If with this course I “may” become more comfortable, this is the way to go.
Thanks again

If you are diving with a camera you are likely "solo" most of the time anyway and your "buddy" certainly is. Why not be trained and prepared...... and comfortable with the reality of the situation.

One of the reasons I did the PADI Self Reliant Diver course was because of my photography. SDI course is not available where I live as far as I know.

If you pick your instructor carefully it will be a fun course and you should learn how to be comfortable with additional equipment such as a 30 cu ft pony as well as lugging a large SLR housing around

I use a 13 cu ft pony tank, it is to small ? Should I upgrade to a 30 cu ft pony?

Other than the stuff that I would normally carry on a buddy dive, e.g., SMB, thumb reel, whistle (the big Storm one), strobe light and reflector and PLB, the only extra thing that you'd need is a fully independent air source. Since I'm carrying a DSLR with two strobes, I elect to mount my extra bottle on the side of my main tank and run the second stage where I'd normally put an octo. I use a long hose primary, so my backup second stage is necklaced and out of the way.

I did the SDI Solo course and they also recommend that you carry an extra mask which I do on occasion in a hip pocket that secures to my BC waistband with a strap around my left thigh.

BTW my camera rig is tethered to my BC d-ring so I can just let go of it in an emergency requiring both hands. I see a lot of photogs who don't tether and say they would never let go of their rig. Not realistic in a real emergency IMHO.

Most of my solo photo dives are shallow, less than 80' for sure. I'd start doing solo real shallow until you become comfortable alone. It takes a while.

There are plenty of different ways of rigging you redundant air source. Tucked away in your back by clamping it to your main tank will not feel very different to your usual dives. I'd recommend sidemounting as this is very comfortable and stable. Perfect for taking pictures.
The course is necessary to dive solo imho. The reason is not to have a C-card to show an operator but to remain safe.
How do you manage gas? What is your SAC rate? Do you leave your pony open or closed? When should you crack your tank?
If you cannot answer any of those questions then you need to do a course before you can consider yourself self-reliant and should restrain from diving solo.
Also, bear in mind that the new PADI course is meant for very experienced divers (100+ dives).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom