Solo Diving and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 13 cu ft pony tank, it is to small ? Should I upgrade to a 30 cu ft pony?

Depends on what depth you dive to and your SAC rate.

I use a 13 cu ft for depths to 20M, and if diving deeper use a 30 cu ft

Depends on what depth you dive to and your SAC rate.

I use a 13 cu ft for depths to 20M, and if diving deeper use a 30 cu ft

I compromise with a slung 19 cu ft. It give me 1/4 of an AL80 in an emergency but it is small
enough that it makes it easy to still get around in and out of the water. But I am 100 ft or less 95% of the time.

I use a 13 cu ft pony tank, it is to small ? Should I upgrade to a 30 cu ft pony?

The best way to determine your need is to know your sac rate. Without it, it's just a guess but both I and Eric have 13's. As a female with a fairly low sac, I can easily do a normal ascent from 100 feet with a good safety stop and may even have enough for a second use, if I keep my sac rate near my usual. Eric has an "average" sac for a guy but also has a 13 which he should get a normal ascent and safety stop from but that's it, very little extra safety margin. For that he would need a 19.

Have you tried an ascent from your typical depth with your pony? If you get the opportunity, practice with it. See how much time and at what depth you get from it before you decide if you need a larger one.

I recently completed the PADI SRD course primarily because I am a photographer. I have changed my kit around somewhat, I switched from a standard BCD to a wing. I use 30cuft sidemounted and have found it doesn't necessarily cause any additional issues with task loading. My camera is attached with a bungee cord so no worries with ever dropping it. It has actually been a revelation for me as I now have the freedom to go where I want when I dive with local operators.
Most of the dives here are on reefs or small wrecks, however I like just cruising off into the featureless sand - not a lot of fun for a buddy - especially one not into tiny critters. I find I can relax more and my breathing has improved. My only problem now is when I come back with pictures of strange Nudis, seahorses and shrimps some of the "regular" divers want to follow me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom