Solo diving after AOW ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

The only reason they came up with a solo cert was so all the traveling single had a card to show the DM and the DM could let them go and have a better legal leg to stand on.

Is this factual information or opinion?

cornfed once bubbled...

Good question, there is a guy near me that teachs SDI's solo class so maybe I'll ask him. Oh, wait... I can't. He died diving solo last summer! (true story)

We all got to go sometime. He made the choice to solo dive.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

We all got to go sometime. He made the choice to solo dive.

True, but I think that speaks volumes about the value of a solo course.

cornfed once bubbled...

Now hold on a sec corn-fed...There have been dozens and dozens of instructors die in caves. But we don't dis the value of a cave course. I don't dis the value of a cave course anyway, due to these instructors dieing over the past 40 years.

I've been bashed on this board for making comments about DIR, because I've never had a DIR course/class/seminar.

Have you guys ever had a solo course? I don't see how you can judge it without taking it.

Is this factual information or opinion?

Well, I think it's a theory with a lot of supporting evidence. Who is the market for the class?

I know the guys I know who explore sumps using what's essentially solo diving techniques didn't run out and take the class. LOL

It's a tourist thing.

Now hold on a sec corn-fed...There have been dozens and dozens of instructors die in caves. But we don't dis the value of a cave course. I don't dis the value of a cave course anyway, due to these instructors dieing over the past 40 years.

I've been bashed on this board for making comments about DIR, because I've never had a DIR course/class/seminar.

Have you guys ever had a solo course? I don't see how you can judge it without taking it.

Ah, but most, if not all, of the instructors who have died in caves were OW instructors with no cave training.

I haven't taken a solo course but I see who's teaching it. I've pulled a few out of the water who have taken the course, I see who has promoted it the hardest (Rodales) and I read the standards. My conclusion is that it's BS.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Ah, but most, if not all, of the instructors who have died in caves were OW instructors with no cave training.

Can this be verified. I know some of them were O/W instructors but we ALL know that not ALL of them were O/W instructors....

cornfed once bubbled...

[/QUOT

Nobody claimed the course had any value. The value of the card is in not being forced to be buddied with a terrible diver or, if I'm the terrible diver, not endangering anyone else. I'd prefer a good buddy to solo and solo to a bad buddy.

Damn it Cincy! I'm feeling pretty currish today and I'd really like to argue with you, but I can't. You make a good point. I took a cheap shot.

You've tickled my brain. Cave diving is somewhat of a fringe activity in diving but it is well established and accepted. It often gets the "nope, not for me" reaction that solo diving gets but really the "never under any circumstances" prohibition that solo diving has been branded with. Interesting...

cornfed once bubbled...

Damn it Cincy! I'm feeling pretty currish today and I'd really like to argue with you, but I can't. You make a good point. I took a cheap shot.

You've tickled my brain. Cave diving is somewhat of a fringe activity in diving but it is well established and accepted. It often gets the "nope, not for me" reaction that solo diving gets but really the "never under any circumstances" prohibition that solo diving has been branded with. Interesting...

LMAO..:) I'll calm down a little today....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom