Solo diver missing - Pulau satang island, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sense, indeed.

If I were her, I would keep my mask, BCD & fins, ditch the tank & weights (assuming she did not carry any signaling devices) and start swimming to the nearest island. If she had a dive computer with built-in compass (I do), just start swimming southwards.
It's incredulous but someone actually did that successfully 10 years ago - Japanese survives diving mishap by swimming a whopping 30km to safety

Coincidentally, off the coast of Kuching too.

Malaysia: Missing Instructor swims 30 Km to shore

One similar thing in both cases: the boat return home to call for help instead of keep on searching! Low on fuel? A lot easier to spot a boat than a lone diver lost in water. Should had kept on searching especially they thought they had heard something initially.
They are going to regret the decision for the rest of their lives!
Pity.

It's incredulous but someone actually did that successfully 10 years ago - Japanese survives diving mishap by swimming a whopping 30km to safety

Coincidentally, off the coast of Kuching too.
Hisashi Koze said: “I also had a compass.” So, make sure you have compass, folks!

For myself, my compass is on my dive computer. Red arrow on the display is the north. The green dot is the “home” direction, a bit southwards direction on that particular dive to The Great Blue Hole in Belize, 132 ft (40 m).

658A35B8-0195-4C12-9990-37AE8FDA9535.jpeg

Hisashi Koze said: “I also had a compass.” So, make sure you have compass, folks!

For myself, my compass is on my dive computer. Red arrow on the display is the north. The green dot is the “home” direction, a bit southwards direction on that particular dive to The Great Blue Hole in Belize, 132 ft (40 m).

View attachment 655279
Will the batteries last a 30 km swim?

Will we ever get to know what happened to the poor girl?

There is an enquiry underway so some answers may come out, or at least popular opinions. They're not just trying to sweep it away as in some cases. Diver’s body found: enquiry under way - Divernet

Knowing the standards of Malaysian authorities and gov bodies, Im pretty sure this will be swept under the rug considering the public backlash faced by the MMEA. I mean IMHO if the authorities has to come out to justify their own actions and its members blaming the victims family instead, you know that sh#t ain't going to be done right.

Also to add, Spearguns/spears in general are considered illegal and require a firearm license in Malaysia which is extremely hard to come by, many do still spearfish illegally but the consequences of getting caught is very severe.

1. I would like to hear the reasons for slow respond initially when one of the brother trying to contact them.
2. Why search was NOT immediately carried out even at that time of the evening. Weather, lack of staff or what?
3. Surely the search could had started much earlier ie. at daybreak rather than 09:00am as reported. If there was any kind of urgency shown by the authority.

1. I would like to hear the reasons for slow respond initially when one of the brother trying to contact them.
2. Why search was NOT immediately carried out even at that time of the evening. Weather, lack of staff or what?
3. Surely the search could had started much earlier ie. at daybreak rather than 09:00am as reported. If there was any kind of urgency shown by the authority.

Malaysia, nuff' said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom