Solo Diver and Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
All,

A recent thread (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...california-diver-found-trapped-kelp-dies.html) in the A&I forum has me reconsidering the prudence of diving with a dive computer. In that thread we learn that the surviving wife of a deceased free diver became convinced, after looking at her husband's returned dive watch, that his death was due, not to kelp entanglement, but to shallow water blackout. I'm assuming that this "watch" was a wristwatch-style dive computer with a download feature.

I've only ever owned one dive computer, the hose-less air-integrated Cochran Nemesis Nitrox II, which I bought new c. 1995 (for technical diving) and still own. I *used* this computer only briefly, as a few months after purchasing it, I began diving with a Uwatec digital bottom timer and tables. Actually, I continued to tech dive with the computer's tank unit attached, in order to record my dives for later download and playback.

I am a rec diver these days—primarily a solo rec diver—and use analog gauges and recreational tables. But up until a couple of years ago, I used to take the TU along on my solo rec dives, too (to record them). I stopped routinely taking the TU because I wanted to simplify my kit a bit more.

The A&I thread referenced above now has me thinking it might be prudent for me to resume diving with a dive computer—not to *use* per se, but to record my dive in case I should become incapacitated (or worse), to help provide some answers. It makes sense to me that the computer should be strapped to me, rather than to my kit, in case my kit and I should become separated.

Any thoughts? Have you other solo divers considered this?

TIA.

rx7diver

It might serve two purposes:
1) Insurance purposes: Instead of being an apparently "negligent" diver without a dive computer, you would have a nice track record of being prudent (in having the computer) and hard proof showing that you have done similar dives recently and that this last dive was no different or extreme from previous dives. Those left behind might have less insurance debates.

2) Any information of your last minutes might hopefully give additional peace of mind to those left behind: (s)he was doing his/her regular dive, everything apparently normal from dive profile, it just was his/her time to pass away...

I wear two computers at all times.

As a solo diver (although that gave up tables a long time ago) I think there is value for a solo diver in using the computer as a backup to the tables / bottom timer. It is always possible to make a mistake in your dive plan and being solo and you don't have your buddy to check against.

Almost all my dives are solo. Until they were stolen about 10 days ago, I dove with two computers. In the days when I was doing dives considered more "risky," I wanted them with backup. Today I use them mostly to log the dives with temps so those who follow my log to see local Catalina conditions have the data. Untiol I get them replaced, there is no reason for anyone to retrieve my body since my kit is far too tattered and torn to be of interest to other divers.

I never gave it much thought. With the currents around here I awlays expect I'd get taken out with the tide as I almost always dive hi-slack. I haven't got much for insurance I'm worth more to Mrs.AD alive then dead:wink: Live longer that way.

Then just buy a cheap computer with bottom timer mode and PC download facility...

Are any sold anymore? I know some will display decompression info until a violation, like when you are using Nitrox and the backup computer is thinking air, but are there any that can be put into a bottom timer mode only?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom