Solo dive or not??

Have you solo dove in water depths less then 25ft?

• Yes

Votes: 49 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harvo,
I answered yes to your question but am curious as to why you chose 25 feet? About 90% of my dives are solo dives but are all over 25 feet.
:shades:

Let me guess. Harvo...sharks teeth...have to dig a pretty deep hole to get over 25 feet.

Am I right Harvo?

I absolutely see nothing wrong with solo diving as long as the diver is well trained and has back-ups...dual valve with two first stages and a pony bottle etc.

If you look at alot of dive accidents you'll see that many of them were caused by the buddy. Oftentimes, the buddy can be a liability especially when diving with someone who is not as experienced as you.

Robinhood

Knavey- Your right. I did a solo dive at Venice. My wife was on the beach, she did not think that it was a good idea. I personally dont see a problem.

The reason I choose 25ft was that most beach dives on the gulf coast would be in that range.

And why is this poll in a DIY Gear topic?

divermasterB complained...
And why is this poll in a DIY Gear topic?
Maybe we are discussing what gear is needed to "do it by yourself".

I prefer to solo dive with a extremely large redundant air source (the atmosphere), located no more than 80' away.

Yes, I HAVE done ESA from 80', starting after a full exhalation.

Robinhood once bubbled...

If you look at alot of dive accidents you'll see that many of them were caused by the buddy. Oftentimes, the buddy can be a liability
Wow thats a new one all the people who have been using buds have been wrong all along!

I've had a few buddies where I would have been SAFER had I been ALONE!

I've dived solo before, while it was liberating in feeling, I still got the "creeps" a few times. I'll solo if I really want to get a dive in, but I really do prefere a buddy I can trust.

Of course, from an instructor mentality, I consider myself SOLO when teaching a class of OW students. Essentially, I am alone! I'm with students who are depending on me and eachother, not me depending on them. There's many ways of looking at this..

I also solo at depths to 130' but I make sure that I have a redundent air supply or at the minimum my doubles with two completely seperate regulators.

I work nights and weekends so all my diving is done on weekdays. It's hard to find someone to dive with during the week so I usually dive solo. The staff on the dive boat knows me well as I dive with them all the time and they know my abilities, training level and that I maintaine my equipment in top shape. I also dive on a regular basis and as mentioned above I carry some sort of redundent air supply.

Solo diving isn't for everyone. But IMO I don't see anything wrong with it if you have a high level of training, experience and the right equipment.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom