Sollys HID canister light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'l be trying out mine in a race this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Getting back on topic...a few questions. :question:

1) How much weight does this light add?

2) How tall is the belt loop? or how wide a belt can you pass through it?

3) How long did it take from order until you received it?

4) What are your impressions of the charging process?

Thanks

Jeblis once bubbled...

1) How much weight does this light add?

2) How tall is the belt loop? or how wide a belt can you pass through it?

3) How long did it take from order until you received it?

4) What are your impressions of the charging process?

1) To be honest, I don't know. I was told to just dive with my usual weighting. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it's only a pound or so negative in the water.

2) the belt loop is 2". It fits snugly on my Halcyon.

3) About a week and a half, but most of that was Terkel and I missing each other. I was the last person able to buy direct from Terkel, they're only selling through dive shops now. I would highly recommend Northwest Sports Divers, Chris is a great guy.

4) It takes about 10 - 12 hours to get a full charge on the battery. If I have any knock on this light at all, it's that it takes so long to charge the light fully.

On that note, I took the light up to Barkley Sound (Vancouver Island in Canada) over last weekend. I never ran the light down on the trip. I had four dives on it before the first recharge and never did get a full charge again after the first day (the retreat only had generator power, which had kicked off from 4 - 6 am on Sunday). I did get some water in the canister (totally operator error, not the light's fault) which ruined the battery. Terkel is dropping off a new battery and charger to my house today. Now that's customer service!

Jimmie

Kalvyn,

Thanks for the info. I ordered one last week form Chris. The wait is killing me :)

Too bad about the charger. My bike light has a smart quick charger that does it in 3.5 hours and I can just leave it connected indefinitely and it will keep it near full charge for anytime I need it.

As I understand it the "dumb" trickle chargers will reduce the capacity of the battery if left connected longer than the 12 hours.

Great customer service. Now exceptional would be if he dropped my light off here in texas. :D

Anyone know how to get a hold of this company? I'm trying to start carrying there product in our store but they don't seem to interested in selling there lights.

cnidae once bubbled...
Anyone know how to get a hold of this company? I'm trying to start carrying there product in our store but they don't seem to interested in selling there lights.
Try sending WetDane (Terkel) a PM directly.

Zerogravity once bubbled...
What's the buyoancy of the Solly's and of the Hawe's light canisters? ZG
With the Sollys I was told to just dive with my regular weighting. That's worked out for me so far.

Jimmie

I'm looking to buy two canister lights and am having trouble seeing a reason for spending an extra $100 per light to get the Sollys rather than the Sartek. Has anyone tried both?

I would appreciate a comparison if you have.

Thanks

I personally Have had both, The Sartek is a good light but between the two there are some subtle differences and I prefer the Sollys light over the Sartek, Have you asked Terkel what kind of a deal he will give you if you buy two.... I would ask first.
Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom