Sollys HID canister light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasha once bubbled...
Let look at some facts (I'm sure most will agree)

1) Most of us people don't dive more than 120 minutes per dive.

But we do per day, and we don't want to be running the battery all the way down to the limit every day of diving.

2) Most of us don't use the focus ability even if they have it.

Have you ever tried a focusable light?

3) Most of us did get to our first million yet.

I'm sure there are allot of people there are professionals that are technical diving all the time that need all the Hi-Tech lights and gear, I'm not saying that everything is bull****.

I'm saying that the difference between the simple and the more advance lights is not all that big.

So the canister is a little smaller, so what is not that big anyway, you will change batteries sometime, right? Once you will it will cost you about 5 times the price of the lead acid ones if not more.

its sort of deciding between two cars with the same engine, one of them has leather seats all the nice things... but they will still run the same on the road, now think that one costs double, will you still buy it ?
Some will most won't.

A 10 watt HID light with a focusable head and NiMH batteries with a 4 hour run time is $665, and replacement batteries (which you won't need for a while) are abou $25. This puts you at roughly twice the cost of the Hawes light.

It's more like deciding between two cars... one which has a 7 gallon fuel tank and one that has a 14 gallon one and you're only allowed to fill it once a day. The first one might be ok if you only do your 40 minute each way commute each day, but you're screwed if you want to go out to dinner that night or pick up your wife for lunch.

I agree with Jon on his analogy. I do a lot of diving in the Pacific Northwest (Washington) and some of them are shallow and I can get a LOT of bottom time. My Dive Rite HID 10watt has a burn time of 90 minutes and I have run it out a numerous amount of times. The Sollys light has a burn time of substantially longer. There is a dive operation up here that does a 3-tank boat dive on the weekend. 2-day dives and 1 night dive. 3 dives at 50 minutes and I have exceeds the 120 minutes very easily and did not even do any technical diving.

I too looked at the “Hawes light” and compared it to the Sollys light, not even in the same ballpark. It is hard to compare to different lights, and it really comes down to personal choice.

I have the Dive Rite (just like the Hawes) and seen the Sollys light “top side”. I have spoke to the LDS that sells them here and Chris showed me the differences. The Sollys light has some strong points to it, but so do the other lights. I can say for myself that my next light, hopefully VERY soon, will be a Sollys light.

I have to say it is a beautiful light!......:cool:

This thing is real nice. I used it again this morning and I love the thing. It strikes everytime and the focusable beam is very nice for communication. The light it puts out is substantial enough to see in the daytime at shallow depths. You definately will be happy with the thing.

Shasha once bubbled...

The lights we're talking about are obviously not meant for you.

So, please do the following:

Quit bi*ching

and

Don't buy one

Shasha once bubbled...

I just ordered one :) and I did it for the brightness and the ability to put the bulk of the light on my belt. Ever since I saw one in action I've been craving one. I wasn't really concerned about the burn time.

Focus...we'll see if it's usefull...

Yes it does seem that HID lights are overpriced, but not just for scuba. I have one for biking and those run about $400. A little cheaper since volumes are greater in those and they don't have to stand up to water pressure. But this is hardly the most expensive piece of diving equipment out there.

How do they burn out of water without over heating?

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
How do they burn out of water without over heating?

K
...but probably the same way the ones in my car do. There are dry versions out there somewhere...

I do mountain biking so I like mine mounted on my helmet.
Vibration isn't a problem. Low tree branches are though. :eek:
It sucks to have a $400 light cliped off your head.

Many people do mount them on their handlebars without a problem (where to mount a light is as controversial as the BP Wings/Non-BP Wings discussion). Under really heavy shocks they may dim slightly with a redish tint for a second, but that is rare.

As for cooling it's just air cooled and it is suggested that you don't keep the light on while not moving for more than 15 minutes.

...I broke one mounted on my handlebars going off a dropoff (maybe 3-5'). I hit the ground and it just went out. I still bought another handlebar mounted light though..

Back
Top Bottom