Sollys HID canister light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalvyn

Reaction score
I received my new Sollys 10W HID canister light last Friday and have had the chance to dive it three times so far. This light is made by Terkel Dive Equipment and I have to say I am very inmpressed with it so far.

On Friday night we were diving Alki Cove 2 in Seattle. My dive buddy just happened to have the Halcyon Helios 10W HID canister, so I was going to get a first-hand look at how the Sollys stacked up against the Halcyon. I was told that my light wasn't fully charged but should be OK for one dive (I received it in the parking lot at Cove 2 before the dive, Terkel and I had not been able to hook up earlier in the week).

Well, we got in the water at about a quarter to 8 Friday evening. the vis was pretty bad, I figured it at 7'. I have never dove anything other than my UK Light Cannon, so when we got near the bottom and I shone the Sollys there, I was shocked at how much brighter this light was than my UK! "WOW!" was about all I could think the first few minutes of the dive.

The next thing I noticed was the Sollys was noticably brighter than my buddy's Helios. I did two more dives with the same buddy on Sunday afternoon and saw the same behaviour. The Sollys head is focusable like the Halcyon and I have no idea where she had hers set in comparision to mine. Perhaps that was part of the difference?

Unfortunately, the goodman handles were not ready as of last Friday so I had to hold the light in my hand, a la the Dive Rite MR11. This really wasn't too bad, still WAY better than the Light Cannon but I must admit I'm looking forward to receiving my handle.

All in all, I would highly recommend this light for folks looking into their first HID canister light. Excellent quality of craftsmanship, it is brighter than the Halcyon from what I saw on three dives and costs less to boot!

Here's a picture of my Sollys next to my Light Cannon, for a size comparision.

Jimmie

I really like mine too. I had a chance to dive mine a week and a half ago in Monterey, and though I only dove in the day time, I could see the beam very well. I really can't wait till the handles are done though; it will make it easier to use.

Looks like a really nice light. I was (up until now) considering getting a Sartek... I may have to rethink that.

The built in harness loop looks like it could be a blessing and a curse all in one. It's nice that you don't have those hose clamps potentially digging into your suit - or need to cover it in duct tape or inner tube or something, but how strong is it? Does it seem like it has the potential to break? Like if the the light were to be (God forbid) dropped, could it shatter?

It does look like a real nice light but I too have some reservation about the built in loop........ Sartek is Less expensive but no frills but a good light!

That was also one of my big concerns. The material the cannister is made out of is very strong, but I don't see it as brittle by any means. I could probably pound on it with a hammer and it wouldn't break. The whole unit is very durable and is well made. I hope that helps.

boomx5 once bubbled...
I could probably pound on it with a hammer and it wouldn't break.

Could you try that and get back to us? :eek:ut:

What material is it made of and how does it compare to delrin? And why is delrin touted so heavily by Halcyon? Anybody know?

Doof once bubbled...

What material is it made of and how does it compare to delrin? And why is delrin touted so heavily by Halcyon? Anybody know?
You know, I actually asked what the canister was made out of but I can't remember what I was told. I do remember that it was one of the compounds or ingredients in rubber bands, if that triggers a chemist's memory out there.

I do agree with boomx5 that I could probably pound on that belt loop with a hammer and not break it. The material is most defintely not brittle.

Jimmie

And why is delrin touted so heavily by Halcyon? Anybody know?
I think the reason Delrin is being used so widely is because of it's strength, durability and ease of machining. Just for S&G's here's a couple links comparing the qualities of many types of plastics. I don't really know what all of the data means but most if it is pretty self explanitory. Delrin seems to be pretty high up there on the hardness scale yet it is very easily worked and machined. IMHO, all of the qualities it has going for it, I think it's a superior material.
Materials Comparison Chart
Hardness Scale Chart

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom