Soldered bolts into STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

0ctoman

Registered
Reaction score
I managed to find a STA for my BP/Wing setup but the bolts that holds everything together is soldered into the STA. Is there a reason why they do that? One of the screw became loose but still staying in place and haven't decide if to spot solder it or just loosen it completely. Any advice?

Interesting. I've personally never seen that. My STAs have all had bolts that could be removed. The benefit is that if one gets stripped or damaged in some way it can easily be replaced. I'm not sure why they would have soldered the bolts in place.

I am including pictures. You can see the weld has separated so not sure if re weld it or just leave it as its. BTW, I can't remove the bolt because of the residual material around.
20210211_172833.jpg 20210211_172858.jpg

This is a carriage bolt, correct? Where the shoulder (where there aren't any threads) of the bolt is square, and the head is rounded? If that's the case, I see no need to solder/weld this in place, since the square shoulder will match up with the square hole in the plate.

If the shoulder is a circle though, and there is no way to get a tool on the head, then welding it in place might make some sense. But honestly, if that's the case, I'd simply replace it with a standard SS carriage bolt.

I'm somewhat doubting it is/was welded, likely a snug press... Things look stripped out (deformed)....

If the shoulder is a circle though, and there is no way to get a tool on the head, then welding it in place might make some sense. But honestly, if that's the case, I'd simply replace it with a standard SS carriage bolt.

I believe you are into something, your description makes sense. It's not a bolt with a square shoulder so it was welded to hold it in place. As you mentioned I'll get some SS carriage bolt and replace them.

Thanks everyone also for your entries about this topic.

Back
Top Bottom