Sogod, Southern Leyte - picturelogue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Count me in Caloy, let me know and I'll send you the deposit. :D

We are living in a house in Bulacan now until ours is done and it has a very big yard. I rinsed all my dive stuff outside yesterday, I bought a big tub, much better than using the bathtub!

no Dennis, and I'm not the least frustrated. I enjoyed the trip very much....planning to go back, I just need some confirmation from Phil.
I share the same sentiments as Koya. It would have been awesome to see the whalesharks but after seeing the dive sites of South Leyte, I can see why it is touted as the most pristine diving in the philippines. The corals looked untouched! The reef contour was amazing and it really helped that our awesome dive guide, Pedro, was an excellent spotter.

The macro is great - pygmy seahorses were my fav since it was the first time I saw them. Plus there was a turtle (or 2 or even 3!) on almost every dive. The dolphins were out for the weekend and put on a show for us while heading to and fro the dive sites (stay tuned for pics!). The one thing I noticed about Southern Leyte diving is that there was a lack of mid- to large-sized fish compared to other places. BUT it is a recovering reef system from over fishing, so give it a couple more years and the fish will be back - and with a healthy reef system like that, they are bound to come soon.

Now about Sogod Bay Scuba Resort. I think I had one of the best rooms in the house - beach side, cool breeze, nice view. It was a great resort. The kitchen took a while (I think the chef only cooks a couple of dishes at a time - they need to teach her to multitask!) but Darlene and Anna Lynn were sweet and very helpful (resort staff). The bangkeros were great and the bangka used to go diving was spacious and near perfect for diving.

People have mentioned that SBSR is a tad more expensive there than other places. But after talking with Phil and finding out that he puts a lot of the money back into the conservation efforts of the area, I would gladly support his fine establishment. Him and a couple others spearheaded the creation of SEVEN MPA's in the last TWO YEARS!!!! (not 2 or 3...SEVEN!) That is amazing, and I could only hope that more dive ops in other areas of the philippines would be as passionate and as hands on as Phil. It really helps that the locals are behind the conservation effort as well.

Koya, tell me when you go back, there's a good chance I want to go too. :)

boohooooo, we had the best room in the resort. you had that coconut tree blocking some of your view. we haven't. :)

and i never saw turtles. really, where were they when i was diving that sunday? :D

but seriously, i enjoyed Southern Leyte. and man, the location is really nice.

The turtle was on the first dive site called......turtle rock! :D You guys were lagging behind, only those just behind Phil were able to see it.

Now I'm off to dive again. Cabilao has been awesome so far. It is great macro here. We did the night dive at the lighthouse last night. AMAZING! I saw a blue ring octopus, an uncommon variety of lionfish which I can't remember the name, among other things.

I love the different places we've been able to dive, all of them offer something different.

BLARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually, the second dive, i jumped off the boat without a weight belt. :rofl2: took me a minute to realize why i wasn't descending. :rofl2:

While in Padre Burgos several years ago, the only whale sharks I heard about were for sale in the market. Aside from lucky sightings, I don't recall that organized whale shark diving was even happening then. But just diving the regular dive sights was great, Napantaw and especially the places around Limasawa were so full of color and life, every nook and crany had something to draw attention. I have been wanting to go back since then, especially now that I carry a camera on most dives.

It's great to hear that more conservation efforts are being made, I had heard of a few excellent dive sites around Limasawa being destroyed by cyanide before I got there. It takes awareness from everyone to make change for the better happen...If a dive shop is slightly more expensive, but taking steps to protect the area, it seems well worth supporting them.

Thanks for the report and pictures!

The turtle was on the first dive site called......turtle rock! :D You guys were lagging behind, only those just behind Phil were able to see it.

Now I'm off to dive again. Cabilao has been awesome so far. It is great macro here. We did the night dive at the lighthouse last night. AMAZING! I saw a blue ring octopus, an uncommon variety of lionfish which I can't remember the name, among other things.

I love the different places we've been able to dive, all of them offer something different.
I'm betting the purplehammerhead is grinning ear to ear. He's got better quality critter wise, on this trip.

Back
Top Bottom