Sogod Bay/ Whalesharks Trip Report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
I would like Cherry as my date...

Oh that Cherry... she was on our trip... :wink:
DSCF0268cherry.jpg

ishbaby:
oooh. im green with envy. . . keep those whalesharks pics comin. . . . Ü

that's it for me Ish... the rest of my whale shark pics are crap. Tim and Larry should have some good ones...

Report continued...

On our second day, Phil really pushed for us to hit Napantao Wall (#20 on the dive map) which he touted as one of the best wall dives in all of Asia. Well I wouldn't go that far, but it was quite impressive with very healthy coral and abundant fish life. Some of those wide angle shots I posted are from Napantao Wall. Similiar to Balicasag and Apo Island, Nanpantao wall extends fairly deep and ends with some beautiful shallow corals at 5-7m. We dropped to around 25m and gradually made our way up. The best part was in the shallows where we found a sleeping reef shark hiding in a hole, nudis, and other interesting critters.

Some pics of the top of Napantao Wall with me playing around with the magic filter and ambient light. [Pedro our DM]
IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

I came across these two wrasses that were in a deep french kiss embrace...
IMG_5058.jpg

Now one of the problems I can see with both Sogod Bay Scuba Resort and Peter's is that each of them only have one big bangka. Doing the whale shark dive is at least a half day to full day trip. I guess we were fortunate that we were a big group and could pretty much commandeer the bangka while we were there. I think there was just a couple doing a discover dive the first day and a Japanese couple arrived on our last day. But if you were just two people, unless you convince the rest of the guests to go across the bay to see whale sharks, you're pretty much stuck with where the group wants to go. There are some nice shore dives and Phil or Ron can drive you along the coast for some shore dives.

Small things...
Food at the restaurant was OK... basic but nice menu of western dishes. Staff was extremely nice, from the waitresses to the boat boys. Pedro the local DM is a pretty good guy. If you're a photographer, tell him in advance what you're looking for and he'll eagerly look out for them.

Overall, despite the transporation/ weather hickups, had an enjoyable time. Might be worthwhile to go back and spend a more extended period (I only had 2 full days of diving there). Sogod Bay Scuba Resort is a pretty new operation, so some of the small niggles I've had I'm gonna brush off. I do have to give kudos to Phil for not charging me for the first nite when I missed the ferry despite my insisting so.

Oh and whatever you do, don't kick Dopey the Dog... :wink:

Some of the smaller critters in Sogod Bay... again can't wait for Tim to post his money shot... In the meantime, enjoy...

IMG_4997.jpg

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4845.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom