Softwear Undergarmets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me answer for Ken (if that's ok with you Ken :D)

Get the 200g for your summer diving and then in the winter get a 300g if you are doing really long dives below 50F or alternately get a 100g vest from Janice to layer over your 200g.

Thanks UP,

With all the wonderful comments about Janice and her work, I'm not at all surprized she also does a vest. Great idea, as are many of your's in this board!! :clapping:

Another question thou - Is there a significant difference in top/bottom insulation with the FLX50/50? Enough to think getting a two piece, of different weights, like a 100 bottom and a 200 top? Not only do I hate being cold, but it gets pretty warm down here on the boat sometimes, and don't want to fry either. Or, am I just making this way too complicated :D

I also own a set of undies from janice. She was great to deal with and extremely fast making them and shipping them out. I ordered the 300gm version for use with my trilam drysuit in monterey. The water on average is in the mid 50's. They work great till the water dips in the 40's which isnt to often even at depth in monterey. Thats where the vest would come in handy. As long as the water is in the 50's i am as snug as a bug in a rug. Eventually ill order a vest for days when the water gets a little on the cold side :D

I get too warm with the 300g when the water is in the mid 50s... shoot I can't handle air temps above 80F :D

I suspect that you California folk probably need the 300g but the vest idea will allow you to add the extra to the trunk area only.

Now for suit differences... with my lightweight trilam on longer dives in the mid 40Fs I was getting chilled so I asked Janice to make a vest for me. It worked great! I'm sure that she can make them from any weight material that you want however the 100g was sufficient for me. I believe Andy (Trimixdiver) ordered one from her and he dives down there in California somewhere.

However with my CF200 the 300g is more than sufficient in the mid 40Fs, for me anyway.

So... there you are with a half trilam/half CF200 living in the warm California sun but diving in the cold Pacific waters.... hmmm.... I still suggest the 200g with 100g vest... and since her UGs are so reasonably priced you could buy a 300g later for when the water temps are colder and even layer it with the 100g vest.

I just received my undies from Janice. Everyone here is so right - Janice does GREAT work, very nice to work with, and FAST FAST FAST. I got the 200 weight 2-piece, a bunch of 200 and 300 weight booties. I'll see how that goes, and if it gets a little colder, I'll order out a 100 vest or maybe go for a full 300.

Now, I just have to wait another 4 weeks for my dry suit. :( I went for the CF200.

I know the amount of warmth a person needs to be comfortable differs, but since most of my diving has been Monterey, and many trips up to British Columbia, should I get the 300 weight? I gather from the replys that the DUI undergarment is 2x150wt. Do you actually get the same amount of warmth from a one layer 300wt, rather than 2x150wt? Or, should I go as UP suggested with the 200wt and a 100wt vest? I'm looking for warmth without the bulkiness. Everyone raves about Janices service and awesome underwear so I'm taking the plunge.:D

ddub23 once bubbled...
I know the amount of warmth a person needs to be comfortable differs, but since most of my diving has been Monterey, and many trips up to British Columbia, should I get the 300 weight? I gather from the replys that the DUI undergarment is 2x150wt. Do you actually get the same amount of warmth from a one layer 300wt, rather than 2x150wt? Or, should I go as UP suggested with the 200wt and a 100wt vest? I'm looking for warmth without the bulkiness. Everyone raves about Janices service and awesome underwear so I'm taking the plunge.:D

Me personally i would not go any lighter than the 300gm as the average water temp at monterey is in the low to mid 50's and dips into the 40's at times while on the surface and only gets colder at depth. I am eventually gonna get me a vest and start wearing it on days when the water is colder than usual.

A lot of it depends on the person such as PUG who can wear a 200gm and be warmer than me in a 300gm in the same temperature water. So if you think you have a high tolerance of cold water go with the 200 gm and a vest or if you dont have a high tolerance to cold water go with the 300gm and you may still desire a vest like me at times.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom