Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MsParamedic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
:headscrat This has probably been discussed a trillion times--if so, please forgive me.

I'm finally getting some editing software (PhotoSuite just doesn't seem to be cutting it for me). It seems that PhotoShop 7 and PhotoShop 2 Elements are the most popular. Pros and Cons of each??

Once again, thanks for everyones help!

Pat

:profile:

From what I have seen from others Elements is a very powerful tool and gives great bang for the buck. I haven't used it but think Dee uses it a lot, but she just switched to 7, I think...

Photoshop will do more, but many don't seem to need (or at least miss) what it does.

If you are shooting RAW or are going to shoot RAW, head for PS as I do not think Elements has a plug-in, but I could be wrong.

The newest version of PS is CS and it is fabulous. I think you can upgrade from 7 for a reasonable cost if you get a good deal on PS7 in the first place.

Photoshop CS cost around $600-700USD full retail version. I can get it for half that cost. I'm just not ready to spend $300 yet. :(

Per my photoshop instructor, ellements will do everything your going to need unless your a very good pro. That being said, PS 6.0 is now whats on mu puter. Just becouse.

PSElements will do everything you need. And at less than $100 it's the best deal around. After rebates, I paid $69 for mine. I had a chance to get PS7 very cheap and that was the reason I switched. But after using it for awile, I would still be perfectly happy with Elements. The extra features are nice, and maybe down the road will become necessity, but Elements was a bit easier to use and did an excellent job. The $600-700 price for Photoshop is tough to justify unless you are a power user. A student discount or something like that will cut that in half but that's still a stiff chunk of change.

Yeah, I agree with Dee, PS Elements will take care of almost everything... I've got PS7, like it but downloaded a copy of Elements and it's the exact same thing for the things, limited as they are, I do...

If you need PS7 or CS (newest versions) then go for it, but Elements will be your best bet.. especailly for under $100 and you'll be trained if you ever move to PS7/cs

the only other program I've used is Paint Shop Pro, which seemed to work too, but would recommend PS Elements in case you do need to upgrade to PS regualar..
Hope that helps..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom