Subsurface GF variance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcpowell

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Please forgive me if this has been answered, I've been away awhile. I did a quick search, but not really even sure how to ask this properly.

Do you see how the GF low and High shows GF 45/95 on the left? This is the setting of my Teric. And then do you see how the GF in the top middle of the dive profile graph shows GF 40/85?

Is it supposed to be this way?

It seems the GF of 40/85 is set in the preferences menu of Subsurface (File/preferences/Tech Setup). But once that is set, it always shows the same GF profile for every dive (above the profile) regardless of my dive computer's setting.

Is this an oversight, or should it be this way?

BTW, this is most certainly not meant to be a negative for Subsurface. I really like the software and am very thankful for its availability.

1658932326635.png

Do you see how the GF low and High shows GF 45/95 on the left? This is the setting of my Teric. And then do you see how the GF in the top middle of the dive profile graph shows GF 40/85?

Is it supposed to be this way?

It seems the GF of 40/85 is set in the preferences menu of Subsurface (File/preferences/Tech Setup). But once that is set, it always shows the same GF profile for every dive (above the profile) regardless of my dive computer's setting.

Is this an oversight, or should it be this way?
Yes, I believe it's supposed to be that way. Subsurface basically calculates the NDLs, ceilings, etc. using Buhlmann (or I believe VPM is also an option) at the GFs set in Subsurface. I noticed this first with an Oceanic computer running DSAT. When I downloaded in Subsurface, I noticed a dive that had a noticeably different NDL between DiverLog+ and Subsurface.

I can't remember where exactly, but there might be a toggle to show both the computer calculated NDL and Subsurface calculated NDL in the info box.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom