Software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM,

I realize that asking which one is "better" is not specific. Perhaps a better question, which one is more accepted within the intended audience? Is one more popular than the other in the US?

BTW, does either one have a "logbook" feature where you wouldn't need logbook software such as "Diving Log" software?

It seems there are a significant number of people using both Decoplanner and v-planner, so it would be hard to say which one is more popular. No logbook feature.

Decoplanner is what GUE uses. For what it's worth you can arrive at similar ascent profiles with either program if the gradient factors or conservatism is adjusted. Of course the "ifs" are important. As already mentioned V-planner has some addtional tools for gas planning and mixing which I do not believe Decoplanner does (but then I have not seen Decoplanner in a long time).

V-planner has logging software, but it is extremely primitive, and is one of my few constant gripes about the Liquivision. I bought DiveLog, but I'm too stupid to figure out how to get the gas information into Imperial units (it took me a month to figure out how to import the X1 files in the first place).

TSandM,

Are you saying that V-planner is only metric and won't do our great imperial system?

V-planner can be set to either imperial or metric.

V-planner is for planning, the V-planner Live logging software is only for the X1 & is a separate piece of software.

No logbook feature.

Why would pre-dive planning software want a logbook feature? Surely that's something that can only be done by the instrument taken on the dive.

Unless you mean ability to save plans in which case both will do it.

- DecoPlanner is basically Buhlmann/GF, whereas VPM is a bubble model

Decoplanner can do Buhlmann GFs and VPM.

The decoplanner GUI is clunckier and buggier (i have a few ways i can crash it 100% of the time - it doesnt do validation bounds checking on depths or gases for example). Decoplanner will produce an output that is easier to customise yourself as it gives you exact stop times at depths (as opposed to just runtimes off v-planner) meaning you can recalculate underwater if needed far easier whereas v-planner wants you to wait out at the first stop depth if you leave early and so on.

Ultimately both programmes will produce roughly similar output and you shouldn't dive either without some personal customisation and verification. Both will do metric or dinosaur units.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom