Software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told that many tech diver use deco software to cut there own tables and plan there dives. I was just curious if this was true and if so how does it work. Does it give you an option to choose your planned depth, back gas and deco gasses?

Yes and Yes. Not only that, but VPlanner will plan gas consumption (as long as you know RMV), bail outs, conservatism, Oxygen Toxicity Units (OTU's) and a lot more.

Of course, just like in school, it's best to learn to do these calculations manually with a calculator before you start relying on VPlanner.Also comes with a handy gas blending calculators to do partial pressure blending of both nitrox and trimix.

John

These are quite a few programs that are used to do deco calculations. As mentioned above V-Planner is one of the most common and support on multiple platforms. Some others are:

Deco Planner
iDeco (iPhone)
Baltic Deco (iPhone)

Best thing to do is grab a copy and start playing. However, you need to learn the basics of the underlying theories and get trained before you try to apply anything that these programs produce. One of the things you'll see if you get 2 different programs is that the results for any given set of parameters will be different. Understanding the theories the programs use will help you understand why there are variances between the programs and which model works best for you and your diving conditions. There are a lot of variables that you need to understand and blindly following the output of any computer program is dangerous.

Get a copy of "Deco for Divers". Read it, run lots of profiles in Decoplanner (gradient factors) and V-Planner. Its a great way of self-learning

Yes, do some research before making the decision--the theories behind DecoPlanner and V-Planner are different.

By the way, the programs are very reasonably priced. For the small fee the V-Planner software costs, you get free upgrades and good technical support. It's well worth it.

No, it doesn't. You need to pay the registration fee to get the password for the fully functional version.

However, you can get a very good feel for the software by using it with recreational and non-accelerated deco dives.

If you really do need to trial it with high O2 deco mixes, then it's likely that you'd know a fellow tech diver who could demonstrate it for you. Lots of people use V-planner.

You can find V-planner here: V-Planner VPM & VPM-B & VPMB & VPM-B/E dive decompression software

Also for those IPhone/IPad users out there V-Planner is ported to Apple IOS. I am not a Deco Diver, however I am a Systems Engineer and I can assure you the interface on the Ipad is NOT even close to the PC Software. I was disappointed as I was attempting to use the Iphone/IPad version for Rec use, but it's not even close to the V-Planner PC version.

Last edited:
V-Planner for PC/MAC is the same app as on the Iphone/Ipad but with apparent interface differences. I don't see anywhere to modify your bailout gas, lost gas, or turn pressure. I also haven't found these options under any other spot on the Ipad. I would suggest that if I was a deco diver I would bring my small laptop with me (Mac or Windows) to use the full PC Version of VPlanner vs. the watered down Iphone/Ipad version.

I don't think anybody knows which is "better". They produce different profiles -- DecoPlanner is basically Buhlmann/GF, whereas VPM is a bubble model, if I understand it correctly. When I took Rec Triox,and we went over planning with DecoPlanner, we started with the output from the program, but when we got through adding some deep stops and "opening the O2 window", the profile looked pretty different from what we started with.

I primarily use RD, and I like VPM because VPM+3 looks very much like my RD profiles, or where it differs, diving those profiles satisfies the VPM algorithm for decompression time. So my Liquivision, which runs V-planner, becomes a very good backup for my RD profile in my head.

There simply aren't enough controlled studies with large enough numbers of divers to know which algorithm is best for staged decompression diving using mixed gases. As Rick Murchison here has written, "Every deco dive is an experiment you are running on yourself. Keep careful notes!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom