Socorro this June on the Belle Amie - wondering about the moon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ojo

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm getting ready to book my space on one of the June 2023 Belle Amie trips, and would like to do what's humanly possible
to avoid rough seas, since so much is out of our control. With that in mind, is it best to make the crossing not at the full moon?
Thanks.

I can't comment on the moon cycle, but when I went in late May/first week of June, it was miserable. The seas were very, very rough for the whole trip....getting there, all of the diving, and going back. One of my worst trips ever.

I can't comment on the moon cycle, but when I went in late May/first week of June, it was miserable. The seas were very, very rough for the whole trip....getting there, all of the diving, and going back. One of my worst trips ever.
Thank you soooo much. This morning for the first time I read that the seas get really rough after May. I think I'll postpone this until a year when I can go in November!

Not sure you can avoid rough seas. We went in March and I was fine, but I don't usually suffer from sea sickness. A lot of people did though, including my wife.

Reactions: ojo
I went in Dec/Jan and here are a couple of pics from our crossing.

Attachments

• 20220107_124636.jpg
    20220107_124636.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220107_175337.jpg
    20220107_175337.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 57
Hi @ojo

I went to the Revillagigedos May 24- June 1, 2019, on the Nautilus Explorer. The crossing was perfectly smooth in both directions. I don't think it is that easy to predict. I would not hesitate to go back at the same time of year.

This is the only photo I took of crossing
1676562249703.png

I went there in December, January & May. Weather wise, December & January were better than May.

Hi @ojo

I went to the Revillagigedos May 24- June 1, 2019, on the Nautilus Explorer. The crossing was perfectly smooth in both directions. I don't think it is that easy to predict. I would not hesitate to go back at the same time of year.

This is the only photo I took of crossing
View attachment 769903
Nice.
I went there in December, January & May. Weather wise, December & January were better than May.

Appreciate this, thank you. Postponed trip.

Reactions: Dan
With that in mind, is it best to make the crossing not at the full moon?
The Moon cycle affects tides, have a look at this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom