Socorro in Dec 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Socorro on the Nautilus Belle Amie in January of this year and loved it! It was my first liveaboard and was a great experience. I did a few dives with See Creatures in Cabo beforehand. The company was great, but didn't find the diving especially great in the area. We dove around Pelican Rock and Land's end; wish I would have gone further out of the bay in hindsight.

Just booked Socorro on the Nautilus Belle Amie for December 2023.

Thinking of arriving a day or 2 early. Any worth while diving day trips prior to starting the Liveaboard? Any tips or suggestions for the trip would be appreciated.

Also what's the best way to avoid the housing camera tax scam? I'll be going with my girlfriend so we can say the camera is mine and housing is hers? I usually carry my camera and housing in my lowepro backpack not in a carry on.
I’ve been on the Belle Amie twice in December over Xmas time. You will love it, awesome boat and staff!

Here’s my video from the last trip -

Also what's the best way to avoid the housing camera tax scam? I'll be going with my girlfriend so we can say the camera is mine and housing is hers? I usually carry my camera and housing in my lowepro backpack not in a carry on.

This is on the Nautilus website in the FAQ section-

Customs & Cameras​

Unfortunately, we have received recent reports of isolated incidents where guests have been charged taxes for bringing their camera housings into Mexico. This is a transgression of your rights as an international passenger and a violation of both Mexican and international law. The company is investigating this, and in the meantime, we would like to provide you with this information to help improve your experience at Mexican customs.

As an international passenger, you are entitled to bring without paying taxes, two cameras or video recording devices, and their accessories. An underwater housing unit is a camera accessory which fits your camera and allows control and usage of the device while diving. As the housing can only be functional when used with your camera, it should be considered a part of your “two cameras with their accessories” luggage allowance.

For more information, please see our Customs & Cameras page in your pre-trip information package or through our link here.

I went to Socorro on the Nautilus Belle Amie in January of this year and loved it! It was my first liveaboard and was a great experience. I did a few dives with See Creatures in Cabo beforehand. The company was great, but didn't find the diving especially great in the area. We dove around Pelican Rock and Land's end; wish I would have gone further out of the bay in hindsight.
I'm headed to Socorro mid-January 2024. What kind of water temps should I expect? Low 70s F?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom