Trip Report Socorro Real Time Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually Chef Julio was also in my last trip. I’ll ask him to do a selfie with me later whenever I bump into him. In the meantime, here’s Mariane, my favorite DM from the last trip & hopefully will lead the Shark group again for this trip.

View attachment 658707

You’re much better looking than in Palau. The mask helps! :D:D

Reactions: Dan
So first dive 23:30? :D
First dive into La La Land, hopefully without the floor moving. :wink:

The real dives will be tomorrow. The schedule for tomorrow is:

3D405789-3EBD-4821-B3F3-E8801BBDCC2B.jpeg

I’m in Shark group.

Sweet. Say hi to @Soloist from me. Gil from Coz. I just booked Belle Amie 12/23-12/31, so excited to go back.

Sure will. His station is right next to me and we are in the same Shark group.

Is the trip in December is a replacement of Blue Manta to Raja Ampat? Some of us from Scubaboard will have a trip on the same boat in February 2022. Hopefully Indonesia will be open by then.

Our trip on its sister boat, White Manta, to Sangalaki in August this year would be rescheduled to next year. So, now we’ll have 3 trips to Indonesia in 2022. The last one will be to Forgotten Island with Amira in October.

Sweet. Say hi to @Soloist from me. Gil from Coz. I just booked Belle Amie 12/23-12/31, so excited to go back.

Sure will. His station is right next to me and we are in the same Shark group.

Is the trip in December is a replacement of Blue Manta to Raja Ampat? Some of us from Scubaboard will have a trip on the same boat in February 2022. Hopefully Indonesia will be open by then. Raja Ampat with Blue Manta, 10-20 Feb, 2022, with 16% off group rate

Our trip on its sister boat, White Manta, to Sangalaki in August this year would be rescheduled to next year. Sangalaki-Kakaban-Maratua 4-10 August, 2021 with 15% off

So, now we’ll have 3 trips to Indonesia in 2022. The last one will be to Forgotten Island with Amira in October.

We are in San Benedicto. The boat arrived & dropped anchored at 10:20pm.

As posted above, we’ll have a Continental breakfast at 6:30am, dive briefing at 7am, checkout dive for the Shark group at 7:15am, Chevron Manta at 7:25am, Black Manta at 7:35am.

On the last trip, we went to Hammerhead cleaning station after the checkout dive completed and some of us saw 3-4 Hammerheads then. Hopefully we would do the same on this trip.

Is the trip in December is a replacement of Blue Manta to Raja Ampat? Some of us from Scubaboard will have a trip on the same boat in February 2022. Hopefully Indonesia will be open by then. Raja Ampat with Blue Manta, 10-20 Feb, 2022, with 16% off group rate

Our trip on its sister boat, White Manta, to Sangalaki in August this year would be rescheduled to next year. Sangalaki-Kakaban-Maratua 4-10 August, 2021 with 15% off

So, now we’ll have 3 trips to Indonesia in 2022. The last one will be to Forgotten Island with Amira in October.

No, pushed Blue Manta to Xmas 2022.

Keep the updates coming! I don't see myself ever taking trips like this so I'm living vicariously through you all. :)

A nice & clear morning at San Benedicto with air temperature about 81F. We got company, I think Solmar V, there too, as you see in silhouette to the left of the sun rise.

5900201E-8D17-454A-92A0-279D3D6BB60F.jpeg

We did a checkout dive at Fondeadero or The Anchor, by doing a giant stride from the back of Belle Amie, as scheduled. Water temperature was 70-76F. The surface current was a little brisk, so we drifted away from the boat and held on to a line away from the boat while letting the rest of the group to enter the water. Once we were all in the water, we did a weight check before descending. My weight seemed OK. I had 8lbs weight with my 5mm wetsuit & 15L Steel tank and descent slowly to the bottom to meet the rest of the group. Once I reached to the bottom. I had a little excitement at the bottom. my BCD inflator would not inflate. It turned out the Dive Alert that the Nautilus loaned us, as part of their safety requirement (including DSMB & Marine Rescue GPS), would not letting the air into my BCD. I ended up taking it off the inflator LP line and gave it to our DM (Xavier), while I was at the bottom. It turned out that I was not the only one that had the same problem. It happened to @Soloist too. The lesson learned from this little excitement is to check the power inflator operation before entering the water.

Afterwards the rest of the dive went fine. Visibility wasn’t good, may be as low as 30 ft at the bottom, but we saw a Silky Shark before descending to the bottom. During the rest of the dive, we saw Whitetip Reef Sharks, Spiny Lobster, Clarion Anglefish, and Manta towards the end of the dive.

After the dive, one of the guests (not part of my group) had a medical problem. I don’t know any more detail other than we cancelled the rest of the dive plan and headed out to Socorro Island for medical evacuation back to the mainland.

KNOK

Back
Top Bottom