SoCal soaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art.chick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, we sure took a pounding at White Point in San Pedro today. It was a class, so not everyone could just abort. i did after the skin dive; travelling rips made the trip out nearly exhausting in itself. Tried to wash-on to a rock; just got pounded like a cube steak (fortunately, sharks don;'t carry A-1 sauce, or I would have been a tender morsel.) Hyperthermia threatned one young man (we got him soaked quick enough, though), and seasickness claimed another man who could simply not take a 2nd dive. Down here, you can only expect the unexpected. PS if anyone needs a buddy for a newly-won trip to the Caribbean, please PM me!

that might really turn people off for good. Why not call it off if conditions aren't good?
I was out at Santa Barbara Island on Saturday, and conditions were not great - both current and swell, and viz was 20-25 feet. We did see the obligatory pinipeds and a leopard shark, so it was not a total loss, but that's a long way out...great nap on the way back.

I am going to San Miguel on Wed & was wondering what the offshore stuff was like. I'm worried we won't be able to see much, & I'm still recovering from the weekend.

No, fortunately it was an AOW class whose objective is to train the gang how to extricate themselves from good entries turned to nightmare exits. Nonetheless, some students are probably shaken & stirred! I sure was. The nuns seemed to get a good laugh out of our rolling & tumbling. Who says prayers can't save you? As for viz, ever swim in a vat of caramel syrup with lots of little particles in it?
:wink:

I think the problem out there is named Elida. I heard that things were much more pleasant at Anacapa... It was odd-- at sea, the swell wasn't big, but the surge at Sutil Island was pretty strong at 30'. It's kind of stuck out there, though...

Yeah, I keep hearing about this hurricane biz. I'm not used to having to think about this stuff. Isn't this just Florida's problem? Can't find anything specific about it in the weather predictions for the Channel Islands.

"As for viz, ever swim in a vat of caramel syrup with lots of little particles in it?"

That pretty much describes normal conditions at Lake Travis (Austin TX Divers). ""Texas Swamp Divers" But at least the water is completely still.

I dove laguna beach a few months ago and vis was about 25-30 ft which I thought was amazing, I could see forever. :) I want to dive in laguna this weekend, but my fiance has us interviewing wedding dj's and cakes (yum). I may bring my equipment anyway and try to get a dive in at 7am with the south coast divers

Congrats on the upcoming wedding. I was married in Orange County, too (on a boat, of course!) I love Laguna, for diving & everything else! And, yes, 25-30' of viz is heaven! Have heard of Lake Travis (my inlaws dove there years ago) & I honor the inland divers who go the extra mile to learn low-viz diving in lakes & quarries. You guys rock! I have had some great times diving in Laguna at 7am; hope you enjoy it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom