Soaking the Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jazz

Reaction score
What happens if I soaked the my reg set with the dust cover undone and water has touched it. :11:

If it happened seconds ago... and obviously not the case here... the idea is to get the water out of the 1st stage right away. You can do that by hooking it up to a tank and blowing the water out by purging a reg - the problem is, you will also be forcing water down the HP hose to the gauge, which will then start to corrode over time... so take off the HP hose, put the reg on a tank, crack open the tank and hold purge buttons. This will air dry the inside of the reg.

The problem is if any water is in there for any length of time, you have raw brass inside that will corrode very fast. Then were it corrodes, you have o-rings moving, etc - and the internal parts will get torn up by moving against the corded parts.

If the corrosion is not bad - you do an annual and when the brass sits in the sonic cleaner - that blasts off all the corrosion - then you replace all the rubber parts.

Hope that explains the deal... and the process.

Whether the water can be blown out of the reg depends on the design of the first stage.

With a "flow by" unbalanced piston design, it is possible for the water to end up in the compression chamber above the piston where it will not be blown out. And some diaphragm designs to not take kindly to operating with water in them at all and can be damaged that way.

Unless you have a "flow through" balanced piston reg, the safest thing to do is to take the reg in to have it dissassembled and cleaned as soon as possible and before you use it again.

When I get stupid with a BP reg: DO NOT APPLY PRESSURE until it is dried. If clean fresh water, I dry it out. (Or if not so clean fw, I rinse in distilled water and dry it out) Remove all hoses. You really do not want to drive any water into the SPG. With hoses removed. shake out and blow out with LP air source. Then connect to tank and apply HP air until totally dry. Just to be safe, I dried the HP hose by removing the SPG (good opportunity to clean and lube spool & o-rings) and blowing it out. Make sure no obvious water in LP hoses, reconnect, and purge each LP device to clear all water.

If that sounds like more than you want to do, take it to the tech.

I don't think that you can get ALL the water out without taking the entire first stage apart. If there is reason to believe that there is anything more than a tablespoon in there, I would just have it serviced. You are just doing something that you would have to do soon anyhow....
Otherwise Larry has the answer.

Remove the computer or SPG first. I hope it was fresh water and you don't have an AI computer. if it was salt water, better get it serviced. Good luck.
Dust cap is for dust.

scubahorse:
Remove the computer or SPG first. I hope it was fresh water and you don't have an AI computer. if it was salt water, better get it serviced. Good luck.
Dust cap is for dust.

Yes I soaked it in Fresh Water so do you think I need to send it in for a service? I soaked it overnight!!! :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom