So you think you've found a bomb, do you bring it up and give it to the lifeguards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If not, then you are a candidate for a Darwin Award. Mark it with a SMB anchored at the bottom, surface and take three compass bearings to triangulate the position. Two should be enough but three is better.

Every time I see an UEO, I point it out to my buddy and swim the other way. Any idea where the marker came from or when it was deployed?

Every time I see an UEO, I point it out to my buddy and swim the other way.

Just out of curiosity, how many times have you come across them? I know they're around on the other islands, seen pictures posted on this forum over the years, only thing I ever run across here is beer bottles.

Is the guy who found it a member of this forum?

If you are, let us know what happened, you made the news!

:zen:

Retrieve it !?!?!?!?! One surely would have to be completely insane!!!!

Give it to a lifeguard ?!?!?!?!?!?!!? One would have to raise one's insanity exponentially!!!!

the K

Those things wash up on our beaches occasionally too. In fact I work at the military base probably most responsible for dropping them. During anti submarine sweeps the Orions will drop them to mark a certain spot in the water. Not all of them go off and when expended they sink but occasionally the duds will float. They still contain phosphorus and magnesium so can still potentially go off but they are not really dangerous unless they are in the trunk of your car, in your hand or you stuck it in your baby's pram. The ones we use state clearly on the side not to touch them and give a number to call if found.
I guess given the number of military ASW exercises taking place off Hawaii they would not be that uncommon.

Oh, someone is catching hell for that little non-maneuver!!! :giggle:

Investigators said the ordnance was located near a lifeguard tower on the beach. Military explosives personnel attempted to explode the ordnance this afternoon. More equipment was needed by the military after that attempt. Police have sectioned off 100 feet around the tower and closed off the park.

"they recovered it and returned it to shore".......????????? We once found a old grenade while excavating a front yard close to an old military training facility. Guess what it did when the bomb squad detonated it.......:nuke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom