So you heard retractor is a bad idea, I had my first hand experience today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you handled it very well, too bad it cost the dive but that kind of a descion I'd never second guess.

I use 3 retractors routinely, one on my BC hose one for my console and one for my backup light that comes on every dive with me. Rule number 1 for me when using a retractor never put anything on it that is negitive and heavy enough that the rectractor can't stay "retracted" or in the case of my console the retractor can be locked until I need to use the compass and extend the console out in front of me. To use the SPG I need only tip the console a little. This keeps it close to my body and right where I can grap it withput looking. The other keeps my BC hose in the same spot so I can find it without looking. The 3rd retractor keeps my backup light on my left shoulder strap. The light is held in place by the OMS hose keeper on that shoulder strap. Comes in handy. I soak them in warm water after each dive and lightly lube them with silicone spray. I'm halfway thru the 3rd year (50-75 dives per year) with this rig diving in my conditions no kelp without an issue. Retractors have limitations that need to be considered when using them. Most any of our rigs can get entangled on anything. My valve, 1st stage and some rope almost got me solo diving on a dive job once. Try diving without a valve and 1st stage. :wink: I sometimes use a 4th retractor on my camera that is netural and kinda hangs at the end of the retractor about on top of my right shoulder. This one sometimes gets tangled with my rig put that's mostly at the end of the dive climbing back on shore. Anyone of them comes unclipped quickly especially when all have plastic buckles I can break with a good twist of the wrist. My primary light is attached to my right wrist w/ a laynard when I use it.

Last edited:
I have avoided retractors. I see them as too high on the gadget factor. Between salt water, sand silt and everything else the idea of that mechanism just makes me run. That being said my wife does use one for her console and it works well for her. One thing to remember is that they are specified by payload weight. If you have a 3 pound light you want one that has enough tension to keep that load in position.

The ones I have seen are not glove friendly so consider them attached for the dive. The diver end is usually a (cheap) plastic clip and there us usually a proprietary connector on the payload end.

For my console I prefer a short length of bungee bolt snapped to my LH shoulder D ring and tied off to the console. It's right there to view or raise to study or navigate. Cheap simple and effective for over 500 dives.

My small daylight is on the RH shoulder with a bolt snap connected by a 1-1/2 inch wire ring (Dive Rite Express) This has just enough reach to use right in place to peek under rocks or to signal.

When I bring my larger light , like for night dives the small on goes to a hip as a back-up and the big light clips to the RH shoulder in a similar way. Also attached to the light is a length of cave line (~24") and a second bolt snap. This lets me take the light in my hand with full freedom. If I need 2 hands for something I can let go knowing it's tethered. Were it to get entangled I can cut the cave line or release the tether bolt snap. This has worked well over the years too.

Pete

Everyone I have dived with who started out with retracted eventually abandoned them. They sound like a good idea in theory but have many problems. Retractors seem very prone to failure of the mechanism, breakage of the line, or loss of entire retractor when the clip fails.

I bought one when I started diving, but after an entanglement with it, I threw it away.

My retractor has a lock on it never had a problem?

I too use a retractor on recreational dives to hold my console, as does my wife. A retractor is not evil. It is not evil. It is comfortable, convenient and accessible. If I was planning a cave dive, wreck penetration, or other dive where I needed to be "tucked" in tighter, I would use a different set up.
DivemasterDennis

Sounds like poor buoyancy caused this problem

while I don't disagree, but I don't blame my buddy for poor buoyancy. I don't think a lot of people can do much better. Think about it, you have leg cramp, you are in pain, your leg is not very mobile. Plus you are in drysuit with thick undergarment. Despite your best effort, you cant grab your fin in belly down tank up postion. Your pain becomes unbareable, what is the easist way to reach your fin? You roll belly up, raise leg, let air into your leg, grab your fin and relieve the pain. In doing so, you descent 3 feet where the bottom happens to be there. I really don't think he did too bad. Remember, you are not this flip belly up grab fin in a leisure fashion.

---------- Post Merged at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:41 AM ----------

My retractor has a lock on it never had a problem?

Is it NOT if you are not in panic. In this case, he has retractor unlocked because he was holding his light in his hand. When things happen, will you have time to let the retractor retrack, lock it down, then preceed to solve the issue? You may, or you may not. In our case, cramp came in suddenly, he just let go the light and tried to solve his problem. thinking that since light is on retractor, it was OK to let go. After all, isn't that what retractor is for? If we were not nearby kelps, we would never have this problem, but we were.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but.... how firmly are these retractors really attached to the diver?

Retractors are a miracle of modern engineering. They're both really difficult to disconnect in an emergency, and at the same time allow the attached item to flop all over the place.

Now I use thin nylon cord (boot lace stuff from the mountaineering store) just to keep from losing things when I drop them, and use pockets and holsters to keep them secured.

FWIW, if you have shears, you can cut the stainless cable on the retractor, or it's plastic clips.

flots.

What sort of coiled cord is troublesome? I've just picked up a set of shears attached on a springy coiled cord and am wondering if that's an issue.

Here's the shears: http://bit.ly/MOPvfs

I was thinking of looping my BW/T harness strap through the bottom ring to keep it all tidy, but after reading this I'm thinking that might make the sheath a little tough to get rid of in an entanglement scenario.

Did you have a knife? Did you contemplate cutting the kelp?

Just curious (although I use a retractor I am on the fence)

I started reading this and thought we were on the same page until I read the second sentence. My initial thought was cut the retractor. Saves the light and save you from having this happen again. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom