So you heard retractor is a bad idea, I had my first hand experience today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started reading this and thought we were on the same page until I read the second sentence. My initial thought was cut the retractor. Saves the light and save you from having this happen again. :D

LOL

My retractor is actually on my console. I am not only contemplating dumping the retractor, I am contemplating dumping the console for a SPG.

My light is on a boltsnap (with cave line) and has a (cuttable) wrist lanyard. Knife and line cutter are both easily accessible with either hand :)

I started reading this and thought we were on the same page until I read the second sentence. My initial thought was cut the retractor. Saves the light and save you from having this happen again. :D

Ok, so let me get into the detail there.

My buddy didn't bring a knife. I had a DIR style of small knife only. The retractor cable appeared to be metal. Even if I wanted to cut it, may not be too easy. I kind of thought my buddy won't want me to cut his retractor either. So I went for the kelp (thick), which was not the best idea. I had to cut above and below the entanglement point. So my buddy was free with with some kelp attached to his retractor. The problem was the retractor couldn't fully retract because of the kelp. So there were some cable dangling. It is at this point we decided to call the dive.

My buddy didn't bring a knife. I had a DIR style of small knife only. The retractor cable appeared to be metal. Even if I wanted to cut it, may not be too easy. I kind of thought my buddy won't want me to cut his retractor either. So I went for the kelp (thick), which was not the best idea. I had to cut above and below the entanglement point. So my buddy was free with with some kelp attached to his retractor. The problem was the retractor couldn't fully retract because of the kelp. So there were some cable dangling. It is at this point we decided to call the dive.

Part of why I am considering dumping mine. If I can't cut free in a pinch, I am not sure I want it.

No problems with my retractor it works pretty good, it is only attached to my console...

Besides I think putting the light in a retractor is not a good idea since it is a steel cable... the retractor is made to hold something light not a heavy light with 6 DD batteries..

Part of why I am considering dumping mine. If I can't cut free in a pinch, I am not sure I want it.

Cut what? Break the cheap plastic snap they use to attach it to your gear. If I'm entangled I choose the fastest way out and in this case it ain't cutting, it's twist, pull and break.

Cut what? Break the cheap plastic snap they use to attach it to your gear. If I'm entangled I choose the fastest way out and in this case it ain't cutting, it's twist, pull and break.

This is kinda what I was asking about before. Any sort of cable retract, especially one with a small diameter steel cable (which could encircle a body part) should be designed to come to pieces under pressure. E.g. I have a retractor for holding my employee ID at work. Not a "dive retractor" but fairly sturdy with a stainless cable...but it has a cheap plastic link so if you snag, it breaks and you are free. Dive retractors should do the same thing, right? If it is really so strongly built that an adrenaline-soaked 12 year old girl couldn't break it off and swim away during a scare maybe you need to take it off and reattach it with a zip tie...

I was joking (partly). :) I do wonder if medical shears would have worked on the kelp. I've seen someone cut a penny in half with them.

Break the snaps on both sides (BCD and console)? You'd lose the retractor... but that may be a determination you're happy with at the time anyway :wink:

I was joking (partly). :) I do wonder if medical shears would have worked on the kelp. I've seen someone cut a penny in half with them.

I know, I didn't think I made the smart choice there, so kind of want to hide it :). But heck, we broke away and reached shore safely. I talked to my buddy about retractor on swim back, I hope he will ditch that next time. I think shear will even cut that metal cable too. My small, sherated knife actually did pretty well on kelp.

But seriously, I truely realized why lots of people recommend against retractors.

---------- Post Merged at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Break the snaps on both sides (BCD and console)? You'd lose the retractor... but that may be a determination you're happy with at the time anyway :wink:

Well, we were not that desparate at that moment yet. We were at 40ft of water (bottom is also 40ft). The site is rather protected, so surface swim isn't unsafe. We also have enough air, him 1100psi in AL80, me 1500psi in HP100. We could afford to spend a few minutes to sort out the problem.

If we were at 100ft bottom with 500psi, I will do whatever to break free. Probably disconnect at his d-ring and leave the retractor and light at the botoom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom