So Would You Go To Indonesia Now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in Bali.. believe me, I am a whole heck of a lot more concerned about traffic than terrorists. In Lembeh, I don't think they even know what traffic is, never mind a terrorist :)

I live in Bali.. believe me, I am a whole heck of a lot more concerned about traffic than terrorists. In Lembeh, I don't think they even know what traffic is, never mind a terrorist :)

Bali traffic is for lightweights. Come hang with the big boys in the J-Nasty. We can show you some real traffic, not the minor inconveniences you have over yonder. :D

I do not know about any tourist getting seriously hurt in a traffic accident, between Manado Airport and Lembeh the last 14 years. Neither did any tourist got shot or stabbed while being robbed. I think that passive smoking is the biggest hazard you can come across here. Or worse....active smoking.

I would return to Lembeh & Bali in a second. The most scared I felt was in Bali traffic, but not for myself! I was sure we were going to run over someone on a moped!

I am going to Raja Ampat in November. I suppose in West Papua I stand a bigger chance of being eaten (not by them sharks) than being blown-up? If I survive, I have planned to spend 4 days in Jakarta before coming back to the UK.

That's good to hear. How was Lembeh?

Hey Matt...Lembeh was good as usual. This trip not great for octopi...didn't spot a single mimic nor blue ring for the first time ever. Had been a rhinopia around but disappeared just before I arrived. Hairy frogfish at three different sites and probably saw more uncommon nudis that on most prior trips. Sure you'll have a great time.

Hi Matt,
Flying to Manado next month from next door in Little Rock. This will be our third trip to Indo--- my favorite place to dive in the whole world.
After 9/11, I quit flying for a couple of years out of fear. Terrorism is based on fear. At some point, I decided to not be intimidated by these hijackers of Islam. Do I think about what these terrorists are doing? Sure. But, I remind myself how friendly the Muslims I met in Makassar treated me. How kind and helpful the Muslims in Paris were .How much fun I had with my Egyptian grade school friend whose expat father came to America to teach science. The times I spent at his family's dinner table treated as family.
Bad apples-- sure there are some. But the great majority are good people. We have our own bad apples too. Go and have the time of your life. Use common sense and be situationally aware--- but enjoy world class diving. The terrorists only win if we cower. The only "bad" experience I have had was a mean look from a woman running a kiosk in the Sorong "airport"(still not sure what that was about). Big deal. I've gotten dirtier looks on the streets of Little Rock. The Muslims I have met in Indo were friendly, fun loving people. Go -- we only live once.
Yes, I realize that the four persons recently accused of terrorism were arrested in Sulawesi,the central area. I probably wouldn't go there.
When I was in Makassar, the"video incident " was fresh and one of the Makassar KFC s was shut down b/c of the video with some pretty ugly graffiti --- but many other businesses generally associated with the west were up and running. We spent some time in their modern mall and were quite a curiosity but treated great. Honestly, I was a little apprehensive on that trip b/c of the recent video and repercussions. There are no guarantees in this life. Go for it.

Back
Top Bottom