So, who's got bal^H^H^H guts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ken,

Did you do this dive without scooters? What was the water temp that day? Was it uncomfortable or tolerable or just nice?

Who was your dive buddy? What exactly is the role of the reel? At what depth did he deploy it?

Do you have a new dive light? I saw your video and it appeared that the light source was either yours or someone on your side.

Thanks,

MG

Hey Mike,

Did you do this dive without scooters? What was the water temp that day? Was it uncomfortable or tolerable or just nice?

No scooters, it's a short surface kick, and HitW/Middle Reef are very close to each other.

IIRC, water temp was 52F, pretty average for Lobos. I didn't feel cold this time, but my buddy did (and he's the most cold-proof person I know). He said he needs to get back into a wetsuit for a few dives to get his arctic mojo back :)

Truth be told, I've felt cold at 55 degrees and warm at 48 before, so I think daily variances in my physiology matter at least as much as actual water temp. I was pretty darn cold in the morning when we pulled into the parking lot though.

Who was your dive buddy? What exactly is the role of the reel? At what depth did he deploy it?
Buddy is August, one of my regular dive buddies. It's typically our habit to shoot an SMB on a spool when we ascend. Most of all, it's kinda fun. But it also helps as a frame of reference on our planned stops. You don't hang off the spool, but holding onto it gives you instant feedback as to your buoyancy, which is nice when you need to hold 10 or 20ft. The diver not holding the spool can also use it as a visual reference. There's not too much need for the "surface marker" function in the cove.

We typically ascend from 20-40ft depth; this time we were at 28ft so that's when he deployed. We stopped at 20ft for a minute and 10ft for a minute. On each segment, he'd wind up the spool until he hit the correct depth to keep minimal tension on the line.

I've never made a direct ascent from below 50ft so that's as deep as I've ever deployed before.

Do you have a new dive light? I saw your video and it appeared that the light source was either yours or someone on your side.
Yep, I bought a used can light from a local diver. It's enormous and obnoxious, and I love it - hella fun, and EXTREMELY useful. August got one recently as well. He, another buddy and I are taking Fundies as a team next month and we need em for class.

Did anybody make it down there today? I was going to go but didn't, and am curious to know what the conditions were like compared to the forecast.

Rob

Anytime Brandon! Calling the dive on account of predictions is never a bad decision. But let us know if you're in the area next time, we can give you a ring if we give the dive a green light.

Im always in the area :wink:... USUALLY with an hour notice if its a day I can dive I can be at the site. :wink: If you dont have my number shoot me a PM and ill get it to you. I think I have yours.

Ken,

Thanks for shooting me back on all my questions. Really I didn't know that the reel serves that purpose and it now it makes sense. I have a difficult time judging my bouyancy at 15 feet while diving wet, I am forced to look at my dive watch constantly.

I can't hardly wait to join you guys again really Ken, I am starting to get withdrawal symptoms of not diving. The really nice factor is that I do have a complete drysuit that is virgin.

I cannot consumate the drysuit until I'm married and so I called my Priest (dive instructor), and she told me she will marry me (drysuit certification) any day I pick in January.

I'm looking at my calender and the first weekend in January is looking great. Hope to be married really soon so I can join all of you drysuit fanatics.

MG

p.s
Ken you have to set up my honeymoon for me, where will I make my first drysuit dive? :)

Last edited:
Id be willing to bet I can get you a drysuit class of equal or better quality in much less time :wink:/

Thanks Brandon,

I seriously would take you up on that offer but I already paid for my classes at my LDS.

You not only have all the same equipment as me but you are patient and a very good dive buddy.

I was very skeptic and nervous about diving Monastery and you made that dive incredible while keeping Daniel and I safe and secure taking us down to nearly 100 feet. Once again Thanks...

I have been wanting to dive with you again but our schedules have not matched up. I can dive Fridays now if you want to squeeze in one.

I would still be wet cold water diver until January...

Ken you have to set up my honeymoon for me, where will I make my first drysuit dive? :)

Love the metaphor! I think you should shoot for Lobos. Looks like January is still wide open for reservations (http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/DiveCalendar.htm), and it's got the benefits of:

1. Simply being a world class dive site - I never get tired of middle reef (just Sunday we happened across a section we've never seen before).

2. Protected cove - nobody likes dealing with big swells or surge when trying to get the hang of a drysuit. IME Lobos tends to be calmer and with better viz than most parts of Monterey, letting you focus on one thing at a time. Also, inside the cove you have a very breakwater-like sandy shallow area for drills and practice.

3. Parking and tables right next to the ramp - it's literally 10 steps from car to water, which is great if you need to get out and adjust stuff, something that you'll likely do a bit when getting used to a significant piece of new equipment.

If you get the reservation, I bet your instructor will appreciate being able to teach the cert class there!

Back
Top Bottom