So, When's the Best time to dive a particular shore site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a diver from OC, now living in LA's SFV, and interested in diving Pt Dume. Dove it last in the 70's during my LA Co. Instructor Certification Programs. This I do know about the site: 1. Advanced diving skills needed to deal with steep shoreline drop off and corresponding close shore wave sets 2. Fast along shore currents if windy or significant wave actions. I'm interested in freediving the pinnacles before SCUBA. Main diving interest is to eventually get lucky enough to photograph large pelagic lifeforms. Anybody here have more recent experiences at this location and pass along some additional insights?

I usually try to dive the Pt Dume pinnacles once a month or so. The main thing I look for is minimal difference between high and low tide height - usually less than 2 feet. I went out this past Saturday morning, with only about a 1.4 ft tidal swing, and the current was ripping. Probably 2 - 3 kts most of the time. My dive buddy has dived the spot many, many times, is the course director who did many of my certifications, and he was surprised at the current strength.

Yesterday, I stopped in at a friend's surf shop across from Zuma Beach to ask him for any thoughts on why so much current, and he said there can be a lot of current if it's been really windy over the outer coastal waters for several days, even though there isn't much tidal change. If so, something like Full Page HFRADAR RTV Display - Real-Time Surface Current Vectors might be a helpful tool for predicting current before going out.

Most of the times I went out to the pinnacles last year from June to December, we didn't have much in the way of current, but this is the first time I've been going out there in January and February

The normal return compass heading from the pinnacles to the Westward Beach entry point is about 310. If the current is strong, the backup plan is to just go with it and head into Big Dume cove on a heading of about 60 degrees (from my notes - check for yourself). It's always a good idea to check out and in with the lifeguards before going out there, so they know where to send Baywatch

On Saturday, we were treated to a great show by about 18 sea lions, ranging in size from a few good size bulls to several juveniles. It is without doubt my favorite shore dive, and on a good day with 50-60+ ft viz equals almost any other So Cal dive. If you want to go out there some time when conditions look good, let me know. I think Rainer and friends have done the dive on scooters before, but that was cheating

Hope this helps

.....................Hope this helps

Thank you Geoff! All you mentioned in your post is extremely helpful for my plans to dive this exciting dive site.

Since my current schedule only allows weekday diving I was thinking to have my (non-diving) wife be my safety on top of the cliff above the pinnacles following my float/kayak and call her to bring the car up to the other side if I had to land around the corner. I'm experienced in drift diving and enjoy the ride. I would just have to make a rocky exit. I hope to repair/modify my old ocean kayak soon so I can just paddle myself back despite the conditions.

I'm very excited about your report on seeing so many sea lions. How close did they come to you? I would love to take pictures of anything big like them up close.

Again thanks for your informative reply post.

Bo

Since my current schedule only allows weekday diving I was thinking to have my (non-diving) wife be my safety on top of the cliff above the pinnacles following my float/kayak and call her to bring the car up to the other side if I had to land around the corner. I'm experienced in drift diving and enjoy the ride. I would just have to make a rocky exit. I hope to repair/modify my old ocean kayak soon so I can just paddle myself back despite the conditions.

I'm very excited about your report on seeing so many sea lions. How close did they come to you? I would love to take pictures of anything big like them up close...

No rocky exit required. You either get back to the Westward Beach entry point, don't make it quite that far and go in at Pirate's Cove, or go around the point to Big Dume cove onto the beach, walk up almost 90 stairs, out to the street, follow Cliffside back toward Westward Beach, then walk down the trail back to your entry point. If you end up on any rocks here, you're only asking to get hurt

The big bull sea lions were at least 6 ft away from us, the more inquisitive juveniles get within about a foot or so of our faces. Viz was poor on Saturday. A serious tech diver buddy went out to the pinnacles with us in December, and all he could say is it wasn't quite as good as San Clemente island when they located a new destroyer wreck and could see from one end to the other. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of my all time favorite places to dive when conditions are good, but definitely an advanced dive because of all the ways you can get into trouble

You can also get good size rays in the sand. Here's a picture one of my buddies took last August on our dive

309197_10151016916028736_1086414609_n.jpg

An overview map of the area I put together is at Pt Dume dive - Google Maps Let me know when you're thinking about going, since I'm very close and might be able to get out during the day for a quick dive

Since the last time you dived Pt Dume in the '70s, it's now a marine protected area, so no taking of anything

Geoff wrote "......... A serious tech diver buddy went out to the pinnacles with us in December, and all he could say is it wasn't quite as good as San Clemente island when they located a new destroyer wreck and could see from one end to the other.........."

Having been an early "techie" and a wreck diver, I fully understand this statement. Wow!

[Geoff quote]".....Since the last time you dived Pt Dume in the '70s, it's now a marine protected area, so no taking of anything..."

LOL. I was an avid hunter during 60's thru late 70's until I got my first underwater camera set up and it has been conservation/ecology and only picture taking since. I'm very happy to see the area is now protected and allow for the opportunity for things to return back to abundance and bigger in size.

I'm currently in physical rehab (from an injury) to get back in shape for diving. Let me contact you back in another 60 days or so and see if we can dive this well-spoken of dive spot. :)

I will be visiting in July from Florida. Is that an optimal time to do this dive, which looks really great!

I will be visiting in July from Florida. Is that an optimal time to do this dive, which looks really great!
July at the Pt Dume pinnacles can be fantastic! During the summer, a lot of So Cal shore diving conditions depend on southern hemisphere storms. Also, you want to try to time it so there is minimal difference between high and low tide; more than 3 feet tidal change means a lot of water is going to be moving, which can create a bit of current for the swim out or back. See Tide table: Santa Monica, California to help plan your schedule for July

Moderators: the recent posts have deviated from the topic of when to dive a particular shore site. Maybe break the Pt Dume thread off into a separate topic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom