So whats the deal with Argon??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justin-branam

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
is it a "warmer" gas? is it really worth investing in a system? i know a place down my street that can fill with argon so thats not a problem, but is it that much better than air. i do get cold very easy, so if it is warmer than air, i wouldnt have a problem investing. thanks for your comments.

It is an interesting question...you will find no concrete answers. Some swear it is warmer, others chalk it up to the placebo effect. Having a second "inflation tank" becomes critical when you start diving with mixed gasses containing helium as helium is significantly "colder" than air and a diver will very quickly become chilled if trying to inflate their suit with it.
A number of divers that I dive with have "argon" bottles filled with air for their dives as they dive mix other times but it is quicker and often easier (and cheaper) just to fill the bottle with air for rec. diving.
It is also widely believed that the true value of argon is only fully realized if the suit is prepurged with argon prior to diving...so an argon tank is brought to the dive site for this purpose.

Long and short...look at the dives you are currently doing...if mixed gasses and long deco hangs are in your future, this might be an avenue to persue. If you are going to tool around with mainly recreational diving, then a warmer undergarment will likely be a simpler and more viable option.

I found this site:

http://www.subaqua.co.uk/reference/why-argon.shtml

which goes into relative thermal conductivity of mixes.

As its 6am i have no intention of proof reading it or checking the figures but assuming theyre correct, argon is some 20 % less condictive than air at 1ata/27c but helium is some 6 TIMEs more.

The obvious benefit for argon for Helium divers is there for all to see - whether the 20% difference for air is noticable i wouldnt like to say.

Well, think of it this way: Argon good, air OK, Helium BAD, VERY BAD...

Here's the only scientific study done on it so far that I'm aware of: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/Argon.pdf

Bottom line, if you're diving air & want to be warmer, another thin layer of undies will provide the best bang for the buck.

And then there is the unknown effects of diving in an suit filled with Argon. While its unlikely to be an issue, my understanding is its largely unstudied.

I suspect that if you're diving He-based mixes putting air in the "argon" bottle will do almost the same job, and if not, a bit more underwear will do the job.

Unless you completely purge the suit before decending you will have a quite weak argon mix in there to start with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom