So, what's on the menu for Christmas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KOMPRESSOR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
kakenisse2.jpg

Where I'm from, Norway, Christmas family meals are THE most traditional happening during the whole year. One doesn't fool around with Christmas dinner, and first time away from your parents, like after marriage, can be a pain for sore souls. What if your new lifetime partner comes from a family who serve salted mutton, or fish(!), on Christmas Day??! Of course the only real food for Christmas is pork ribs! And then maybe LUTEFISK! :D

nfi_18930_012224900_1198426242.jpg

Traditional Norwegian pork sideribs before cooking

ribbe__julemat__fei_284332b.jpg

And after...

jpinnekj_tt_284932x.jpg

Salted ribs of mutton, "Pinnekjøtt" (= "Stick meat", from how it's prepared!)

lutefisk_3.jpg

Lutefisk

Whatever food is served, there's one thing that's always on the table:
Løitens Linje Aquavit!!!

linie.jpg

And it's made just a 15 minutes freezing cold moped ride from my house even, ha ha!

So, what are you peple looking foreward to foodwise this Christmas, huh? :D

-And yes, we do have snow! :14:

A nice TV dinner? I haven't really thought that far ahead. I'm all alone for Christmas (by choice) so it won't be anything fancy... but undoubtedly fattening!

My m-i-l can really ruin a turkey breast... so we're traveling south an hour with our Holland grill lashed onto the back of the Yukon and a 22 lb turkey in the back. We'll be grilling the turkey- you haven't had good turkey until you've had turkey steamed on a Holland grill... mmmm :mouthwatering:

Those pictures are making me SOOO hungry, Kompressor!! :D

We're having ham, potato salad, baked beans, deviled eggs and pecan (pronounced p'con) pie for dessert.

Man that looks like an awesome spread!
I was introduced to the notion of Lutefisk the other day.
My best friend, who lives in Austin, Tx. and whose Mother is from Holland,
was l running around Austin trying to find Lutefisk. He found it at an Ikea
furniture store of all places.
Merry Christmas!
Spencer

Well folks, it's all over for now here! We celebrate on the 24.th, and right now that's yesterday over here, so we're done! :D

The pork was wonderful, as it is every year! Except next year, because then we're going to my fiancé's parents. Her mother is from the west coast, and they always have salted mutton ribs (Pinnekjøtt)... :(

Anyways, hope you all have a pleasant holiday, that your new socks fit, and that someone else will do the dishes afterwards!

Back
Top Bottom