So, what to do with dozens of LPs ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
Oh sure, like the hip hop crowd will get into a shuffle version of Black Sabbath's "Rat Salad".

Cripes, it'll take me a while to compile a list but the main players are:<snipped>
This is not even that old!

Now, if you had young kids, all you would have to do is leave them on the shelf and the kids in the room for a few hours. We did that once and the kids turned them into frisbees.

Funny, later in life (when my son had started university) he mentioned how much he liked a certain style of music. We pulled out a box that had not been opened in many years and showed him our, now, limited collection. of LPs Wry smile followed from him as he did remember "playing" with the others.

No e-bay at the time, otherwise we would have found a way to dispose of them.

You might also consider donating them to a local charity.

Vinyl is still very highly regarded in audiophile circles, and is becoming more popular in some circles. A good lp, played on good equipment, usually sounds better than any digitalized format. Of course, vinyl is inconvenient, and subject to damage. Still, some of my old DG and Angel recordings of Wagner, Beethoven's 9th, Prokofiev, etc., blow the pants off their digital equivalents when played on a Solothurn turntable, through a Macintosh tube amp and pre-amp. The purity, cleaness, accuracy, even balance, and presence can't be matched. There are also obscure things, like some old reggae LPs I picked up in kingston back in the 70s, that just can't be obtained on a CD.

There are many vinyl fetishists out there, I've been looking for a decent turntable for sometime now and each time have to convince the kids at the store I don't want a CD player. Too bad the shipping would kill me. :(

We have a store here called Forever Young that deals in LP's, tapes and CD's (past and present). You might check the phone book and see if a place like that exists where you are and give them a call. Might be surprised what they could offer you.

I too have a stash LP's here. Both mine & my dad's collection, no one else would take them when he died so I did. I even have a nice turntable boxed up somewhere. I guess one of these days I'll catalog what I have & see about selling it all.

I maintain a turntable as I have a sizeable collection of hardcore punk from the early eighties that will never, ever be turned to CD.

You said LP's, I was thinking tanks. :wink:

I don't get the whole "LPs sound better than CDs thing". CDs are far superior. Digital perfection...
:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom