So what the heck is a semi dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to swing the convo off topic guys. Thanks for your clarification and input peter. A truly horrific tale and a lesson in dive planning waiting to happen.

Back to Semi-dry suits....

Yes, semi-drys. A silly name, but we've been through that. I used to do weekend dive trips out of southern England, usually leaving dock pretty early (timing was tide dependent) and travelling for a couple of hours to the first dive site. Then lunch on board followed by a second dive. I only ever did those trips in a drysuit, as did most of the other divers. There were a few hardy souls who in summer insisted on using a semi-dry. I did these trips 8 or 10 times every summer for years, and in all that time I never knew a diver who had used a semi-dry for the first dive to make the second dive - they'd lost too much body heat.

Semi-drys are useful in that they don't contain air so buoyancy control is much simpler than with a drysuit. This is why some people use them. For me I've never seen the point, nor in having especially thick wetsuits either. If I need more than a 5mm well fitting wetsuit then I wear a drysuit, every time. I even see people here in Belize (water temp currently 85f) wearing drysuits, when I'm diving alongside them in shorts and rashguard!

my wetsuit is nearly a semi dry I think, at last I was dry till I tried to figure out how to pee. Then when I did I realized quickly that I hadn't been wet prior to relieving myself and then had to figure out how to resolve THAT issue. So I flooded it with water vie the neck line, only it didn't escape so I was in essence a water balloon filled with a mixture of pee and salt water. Not my crowning moment.

Thanks for that. Goodness knows why PADI persist in their totally incorrect statement that the most important aspect of a weight belt is that it can easily be ditched. I have never come across any incident even aggravated by inability to dump weights, but quite a few serious incidents caused by a weight belt falling off.
But a friend of mine nearly drowned because he couldnt..

Yes, semi-drys. A silly name, but we've been through that. I used to do weekend dive trips out of southern England, usually leaving dock pretty early (timing was tide dependent) and travelling for a couple of hours to the first dive site. Then lunch on board followed by a second dive. I only ever did those trips in a drysuit, as did most of the other divers. There were a few hardy souls who in summer insisted on using a semi-dry. I did these trips 8 or 10 times every summer for years, and in all that time I never knew a diver who had used a semi-dry for the first dive to make the second dive - they'd lost too much body heat.

Semi-drys are useful in that they don't contain air so buoyancy control is much simpler than with a drysuit. This is why some people use them. For me I've never seen the point, nor in having especially thick wetsuits either. If I need more than a 5mm well fitting wetsuit then I wear a drysuit, every time. I even see people here in Belize (water temp currently 85f) wearing drysuits, when I'm diving alongside them in shorts and rashguard!
Quite a few use semidry suits here and I have done so myself. Theire quite nice for water temps a bit colder than what you can comfortably dive with a "regular wet suit" but its not suitable for multiple dives in too cold water..

No Experience? Self-entertainment.

In my defense I am not cert'ed and only know a very little info rom reading SB. For the life of me though I can't picture what is meant by weight belt under crotch strap.

thanks that made perfect sense. Man so so so much to learn.

I googlrd it alo, and came up with articles about a dead fisherman. No name released, no cause of death or dtails and that it had been the fourth death in that area that year. No info about weight belts that I found.

my wetsuit is nearly a semi dry I think, at last I was dry till I tried to figure out how to pee. Then when I did I realized quickly that I hadn't been wet prior to relieving myself and then had to figure out how to resolve THAT issue. So I flooded it with water vie the neck line, only it didn't escape so I was in essence a water balloon filled with a mixture of pee and salt water. Not my crowning moment.

As far as I know, a semi-dry is just a really good wetsuit that seals as a cross between a dry suit and a wetsuit. Or, as Lynne say, A dry suit that is 2 weeks old :wink:

maybe I read that wrong. Did I offend you?

I am only trying to learn, sorry if that means I am posting for "self entertainment".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom