So, what is the point of AOW???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, it seemed much more apropos than Dark Side of the Moon. How did you put that cool annotation "Darwin..." underneath your name?

Mike I agree with you ... but I just don't feel that railing against the agencies is going to accomplish much. Best I can do is try to make sure that the divers I train acquire those skills.

This is just a matter of priorities. I'm no longer willing to pay the agencies for for the privilage of teaching when they aren't much help in the whole thing. Besides, now that I'm not a professional member of the agency, I am no longer under a contractual obligation not to bash them, LOL. If you want to issue certifications and do so from an insured position, though, you don't have much choice other than to play the game.
Ultimately it boils down the instructor ... I've worked with some great ones and some really lame ones. When I was a DM, I helped one instructor out with an AOW class who actually PLANNED to run his student out of air on the way up from their deep dive. Personally I think that's a really stupid thing to do ... but there's nothing in the standards preventing it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's rich. I'd have to think about that one...there's gotta be some way to make that a standards violation:confused:

[RANT]
Actually, I'm more likely to think the guy with the DIRF card is a condescending poopyhead (I apologize for the original, offesive word) who thinks he's one of the best divers in the world and needs no advice from anyone (unless they're DIR) because he paid a lot of money to go through a training course and was told by his instructor that GUE was the greatest thing in the world and oh by the way if he wants to be even more awesomer he should give Jarrod Jablonski even more of his money and go buy himself some overpriced Halcyon gear because we all know you aren't a real diver until you've done your part to build JJ's wealth.
[/RANT]

Why is helpng to build JJ's wealth any worse than "Putting Another Dollar In"?

LOL, some of the newly DIRFed (as I sometimes call them) can get pretty smug. After that little work shop and a couple of weeks of practice, they get feeling pretty good about the difference in their diving.

I don't think DIRF is expensive. I think OW courses are rediculously underpriced which is probably why there are so few teaching it who are any good. There's no money in it.

I'm not a DIR guy and there is several things about GUE that I don't care for but when it comes to discussing good solid dive skills and where to learn them, I don't know what other agency I could recommend. I just don't know of another agency that consistantly teaches to that level across the board. Do you know of one?

There are individual instructors with all agencies that teach well but it isn't built into the standards as it is with GUE so it's the exception rather than the rule. The quality just isn't there.

Why is helpng to build JJ's wealth any worse than "Putting Another Dollar In"?

All of the agencies have their issues. I'm sorry if I'm a little skeptical when it comes to the whole "pay a lot for certification from my agency and then pay a lot for gear from my company" thing. For the record, I'm not certified through PADI, but as soon as my agency does start telling me what gear I have to use, I'll find a new agency.

LOL, some of the newly DIRFed (as I sometimes call them) can get pretty smug. After that little work shop and a couple of weeks of practice, they get feeling pretty good about the difference in their diving.

A little smug? There have been a few I really wanted to kick off my boat. And I don't mean tell them to get off. I mean kick them until they fall off the boat. :D

I don't think DIRF is expensive. I think OW courses are rediculously underpriced which is probably why there are so few teaching it who are any good. There's no money in it.

What does price have to do with it? Personally, I'm not in it for the money. That's what I have my full time job for. I teach because I enjoy diving and I like helping others enjoy it. My course is pretty darn cheap and I think the fact that I'm not doing it for the money makes me a better teacher because I'm not afraid to tell someone they have to repeat a pool session or that I'm just not going to certify them.

I'm not a DIR guy and there is several things about GUE that I don't care for but when it comes to discussing good solid dive skills and where to learn them, I don't know what other agency I could recommend. I just don't know of another agency that consistantly teaches to that level across the board. Do you know of one?

I wouldn't even recommend GUE. I only know a couple GUE instructors and I think they're "poopyheads" so I would never recommend them. I don't recommend agencies, I recommend instructors.

All of the agencies have their issues. I'm sorry if I'm a little skeptical when it comes to the whole "pay a lot for certification from my agency and then pay a lot for gear from my company" thing. For the record, I'm not certified through PADI, but as soon as my agency does start telling me what gear I have to use, I'll find a new agency.
Don't most (all?) of the tech agencies specify equipment configurations? I know mine does ... and it ain't GUE. Remember that GUE is primarily targeting tech divers, and the rules change when you start getting into that sort of diving.

Nick_W:
A little smug? There have been a few I really wanted to kick off my boat. And I don't mean tell them to get off. I mean kick them until they fall off the boat. :D
There's arrogant people in all walks of life ... I've engaged in discussions right here on ScubaBoard with some incredibly arrogant people ... some of them only OW certified and with less than 50 dives. GUE doesn't have a lock on ... um ... poopyheads.

Nick_W:
What does price have to do with it? Personally, I'm not in it for the money. That's what I have my full time job for. I teach because I enjoy diving and I like helping others enjoy it. My course is pretty darn cheap and I think the fact that I'm not doing it for the money makes me a better teacher because I'm not afraid to tell someone they have to repeat a pool session or that I'm just not going to certify them.
I'm with ya there ... I have a day job that pays me well. I teach because I enjoy teaching ... never expect to make a living at it. On the other hand, my Course Director cautioned me not to undercharge for my services because ... "if you don't place a value on your time and expertise, your students won't either" ... at the time I disagreed with him, but I've since come to the conclusion that he knows what he's talking about.

Nick_W:
I wouldn't even recommend GUE. I only know a couple GUE instructors and I think they're "poopyheads" so I would never recommend them. I don't recommend agencies, I recommend instructors.
I've met a couple of arrogant GUE instructors ... well, only one, really ... the other five I've met were all really nice people. And even the arrogant one was worth recommending because he had the chops to back up his attitude.

It's the arrogant ones that don't have the chops that burn me up ... there's plenty of 'em out there ... and they ain't GUE instructors.

Nick ... it would be helpful if you'd put a little information in your dive profile. I'm not doubting the sincerity of your words, but it's tough to judge where people are coming from when you don't know anything about their background.

You're fairly new here ... this topic's been hashed to death. Not sure if a thread on AOW is really the right place for it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't most (all?) of the tech agencies specify equipment configurations? I know mine does ... and it ain't GUE. Remember that GUE is primarily targeting tech divers, and the rules change when you start getting into that sort of diving.

Yes, the majority (I won't say all because I'm sure there is probably one that doesn't) will specify configurations. But GUE specifies (or specified) to the point where there was only one company making the gear that met their specifications. Like I said, stuff like that, whether rightly or not, makes me skeptical.

There's arrogant people in all walks of life ... I've engaged in discussions right here on ScubaBoard with some incredibly arrogant people ... some of them only OW certified and with less than 50 dives. GUE doesn't have a lock on ... um ... poopyheads.

I understand that. That's why I stopped walking my previous life. :wink: I got sick of the egos. And while GUE/DIR does not have the monopoly on egos in diving, they sure do own Boardwalk and Parkplace.

I'm with ya there ... I have a day job that pays me well. I teach because I enjoy teaching ... never expect to make a living at it. On the other hand, my Course Director cautioned me not to undercharge for my services because ... "if you don't place a value on your time and expertise, your students won't either" ... at the time I disagreed with him, but I've since come to the conclusion that he knows what he's talking about.

Yeah, I don't undercharge, there has to be some incentive for the student to care, but I'm certainly the best deal around.

I've met a couple of arrogant GUE instructors ... well, only one, really ... the other five I've met were all really nice people. And even the arrogant one was worth recommending because he had the chops to back up his attitude.

I'm sure they're out there. I just haven't met them. To be fair, I've only met a couple though.

Nick ... it would be helpful if you'd put a little information in your dive profile. I'm not doubting the sincerity of your words, but it's tough to judge where people are coming from when you don't know anything about their background.

What can I say? I'm a shy guy. :D

You're fairly new here ... this topic's been hashed to death. Not sure if a thread on AOW is really the right place for it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just judging by how many times I've bludgeoned this dead horse in the "real world" I'm sure the e-horse is unidentifiable at this point. But any time someone brings up the "GUE is the bestest thing to ever happen" conversation, I just can't help myself.

Yes, the majority (I won't say all because I'm sure there is probably one that doesn't) will specify configurations. But GUE specifies (or specified) to the point where there was only one company making the gear that met their specifications. Like I said, stuff like that, whether rightly or not, makes me skeptical.
That may have been true at some point in the past ... but not for several years now.

Oxycheq, Golem, Deep Sea Supply, and several others make rigs that are completely DIR-compatible ... and they sell a lot of them. Salvo probably sells more canister lights to DIR folks than Halcyon does. ScubaPro still rules when it comes to fins. ScubaPro, Apeks and Atomic are the "regulators of choice" for the DIR folks I know. The DUI TLS350 is still the "Signature" drysuit ... red overlay is all the rage these days.

If you look at the gear that the typical DIR-trained divers are wearing, there really isn't that much that displays the "H" on it these days ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That may have been true at some point in the past ... but not for several years now.

Oxycheq, Golem, Deep Sea Supply, and several others make rigs that are completely DIR-compatible ... and they sell a lot of them. Salvo probably sells more canister lights to DIR folks than Halcyon does. ScubaPro still rules when it comes to fins. ScubaPro, Apeks and Atomic are the "regulators of choice" for the DIR folks I know. The DUI TLS350 is still the "Signature" drysuit ... red overlay is all the rage these days.

If you look at the gear that the typical DIR-trained divers are wearing, there really isn't that much that displays the "H" on it these days ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's why I used past tense. And I'm not going to knock JJ for it, like the kids are saying these days, don't hate the player, hate the fans. :D

SparticleBrane:
GUE is the bestest thing to ever happen. :D

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. :D

GUE is only accessible to 0.005 of all divers - and that's the same amount of divers who will ever take a GUE/F course.

In my extremely well-versed experience any AOW course tought by an interested instructor is a benefit to the beginning diver - in general, any instruction post OW is prefered.

I have an AOW class starting Jan. 8 with four students in it - I can assure that they will get everything offered in the book and 50% more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom