So what do post counts mean these days?

What do you think of post counts?

• They are just for fun and mean little else.

Votes: 60 69.8%
  • They are misleading and that's a pity.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I wish we could get rid of them.

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • I wish Non diving related posts didn't count.

Votes: 15 17.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
When I first joined SB I maybe mistakenly assumed that those with higher post counts had a lot to say on the subject of diving - which was why I joined the site in the first place. Since then, and especially recently, this can be a very mistaken impression. I mean - what does a total post count of 1200 mean if you then discover that 1100 of them are in threads with nothing or almost nothing to do with diving? I wonder what the post count really shows these days and am curious what others think about it as well.
I'm not after people attacking each other on account of different perceptions of what they should be used for, or personal criticism of individual peoples posting history. If that happens I warn you now I will delete liberally! :D (you know......blatantly censor!:D )

I am interested on peoples views on the topic though.

The poll is multiple choice - you may give more than one answer.

Compared to the tenure of the member, they might mean that I,oops, I mean the member, spends too much time on Scubaboard.

IMO, means jack. Someone can be making post 1, have an excellent contribution on a subject.

ianr33:
Maybe posts that are not in diving related forums should not count toward the total post count?
That's one of the options in the poll. Remember though that if they didn't some people would lose an awful lot of posts! :D (Can you hear the screaming?)

I'd tend to leave them alone. First, who decides what is diving vs. non-diving? Next, given an overall thread is diving, anyone who thinks all posts in diving threads are OT doesn't see the threads I do. Gonna start having a scoring board, to determine which posts within a thread are "valid"? I freely admit on some of the more serious threads I'll drop in an attempt at humor, if things seem to be getting weird.

There've been enough vetches lately -- setting up a "scoring" system just opens things up to more complaints, doesn't add value -- why bother? Post count indicates the number of unique posts my an individual, nothing more or less.

I had to say just for fun.

*I'd like to think I've posted some helpful content.
*I know some posts just reiterate what has been said but sometimes it seems like a concensus is sought.
*I know some posts are just in lighthearted fun. But it's neat to be part of a community like this.

Post count dosen't mean much more than a lot of what is posted unless you spend the time learning where folks are from and what their diving is like.

If I changed anything I'd requrie more profile content before anyone can post. Too much stuff goes up here out of context.

Pete

Did I get post # 9 ?

yep, I did. Seriously though, post counts mean how active you are on the board, and it doesn't all have to be all about diving, you can't dive 24/7, why should you have to talk it 24/7.

I think it would be great to oget rid of them completley. Then we might have to *God Forbid!* actullay get to know the people that were taking advice from, therefore forcing us to actullay "socalize" and learn all the true facts. Just my opinion, but I would love to see it happen!!! :) :)

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom