So my kids want to snorkel Grand Cayman...??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GC is one place I recommend using the ship's snorkel op. Capt Marvin and the ships snorkel tour operator, as well as many other tour ops, go to a reef and stingray city sandbar. Unless you are there very early, the snorkel boats are lined up on the sandbar like a parking lot. However, there seem to be enough stingrays to go around, and it is a fun experience if they have never been there. Don't remember the cost difference between Capt Marvin and the ships op, but as others have said, the ship tenders in GC, and unless they are on a ship's tour or have frequent cruise traveler status on that cruise line, getting off ship in a timely manner can be problematic. Also, the time difference between local and ships time has resulted in people being left behind. If on a ship tour, the ship will wait for you. They will have to decide whether the cost difference is worth the aggravation and worry of getting off the ship in time to meet an independent op's departure and back to the ship in time for departure.

I thought the snorkeling at The Cemetery (I think its called) was good and its not that far from town although a taxi/bus/rental car would be needed. Don't know prices but Cayman is not cheap. Stingray City is touristy but awesome - getting there early is a great idea if possible. If they rent a car there is good snorkeling at a wide variety of spots around the island and as you get further from town they get less crowded.

FWIW, few cruise visitors actually go to Smith Cove or Sunset House. Those locations are a bit of a walk from the port and some taxis don't want to go there since they can't get a full taxi load (the taxis are shared ride from the port) to go that way.

Cemetery Beach up in West Bay is known for better snorkeling but the beach lacks any amenities. No food. No chair rentals. Not even a bathroom.

The signature snorkeling excursion is Stingray City sandbar. And the only way to do that is by boat. Many vendors will be hawking trips at the port but if they want to book ahead there are several operators that get better reviews than the cruise ship sponsored trips. Try Native Way for a well reviewed operator that includes a stop at the stingrays and lunch at Rum Point.

Thanks for all of the information and suggestions. It looks like the famous Stingray sandbar and subsequent snorkeling stops with many boats to select from would be the ideal choice for these highland tourists. They might go for one of the other choices, I never know what they'll choose, but this helps me give them suggestions.

They also have stops in Cozumel & Jamaica, with limited time to see much anywhere as usual with these lame barges. With so may options in Coz, they're going to a cooking class at a beach club. :silly: On Jamaica - the only stop that concerns me with its crime problems, they have booked a zip line excursion - and I can only hope it's a safe operator. Snorkeling Grand Cayman should be the high point of their trip. Surviving the 600 mile road trip each way will probably be the riskiest challenge, but at least they're not driving during winter this time...!

DD----wife just booked that trip(out of Galveston) as part of an all gals trip------YEA, I do NOT to go------this January.......I told her 'Honey, I'd be (very) happy for you to go"...........lol----:)--now I get to try & plan an all guys trip---maybe back to Dominica.....Yea, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.....

Embarcadero beach is a nice place too. Tutrtle reef at the Macabuca bar would be fun as you could take a cab then spend some time there. Cool bar too. Monday has a great BBQ in the evening.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you are planning a snorkel trip to sand bar and north sound I would go out with Dexter, Fantasea Tours. He has a large catamaran, does not overcrowd and will pick up and drop off at the cruise ship dock.

My daughter and son in law went out with him last week and had a very good time. $35 US per person. Snorkelling, gear, soft drinks, pick up and delivery.
Hard to beat on that expensive island.

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 07:39 PM ----------

Turtle Reef is a good dive but too deep for snorkeling
Sunset probably is as well.
Smith's cove and Cemetery beach are not bad.

Sunset House is pretty shallow if you stay along the rocks going north from the Saltwater Pool.

Of course you run the risk of being blown into the coral there - quite a lot of current one afternoon.

I'd say it's no more than 6-8' in some areas.

Don,

Since your family does not seem like hardcore snorkelers, the most fun they're going to have is at Stingray City/Sandbar.

It's a pretty memorable experience.

If you are planning a snorkel trip to sand bar and north sound I would go out with Dexter, Fantasea Tours. He has a large catamaran, does not overcrowd and will pick up and drop off at the cruise ship dock.

My daughter and son in law went out with him last week and had a very good time. $35 US per person. Snorkelling, gear, soft drinks, pick up and delivery.
Hard to beat on that expensive island.
Glad you mentioned Dexter as there are other Fantasea operators on other islands. It's a popular name for an ocean going op I guess. Looks like he gets great reviews on Tripadvisor. Goes at 8:30 or 1:30 for a 3-1/2 hour, 2 stop trip. [-]I did not get their ship name or arrival time so I don't know, but[/-] I'll pass the suggestion along. Edit: They're suppose to arrive at 7am so should be able to make the morning boat fine.

His site quotes Adults: CI$32.00 (US$40.00) per person. Is there a $5 discount to request? What's a reasonable tip anyway...??

I'd want to do a 3 stop trip, but they'd probably be happy with 2 stops, then time to explore elsewhere - I guess. Sometimes I have no idea what they would like.

Since your family does not seem like hardcore snorkelers, the most fun they're going to have is at Stingray City/Sandbar.

It's a pretty memorable experience.
Yeah, I think so. I hope they go for a boat trip and not a cheap shore choice.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom