So many questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyDogIsDoug

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are a family of recently certified divers. My husband and I were certified this summer and have about 15 dives under our belts. My daughter was certified last year and has a little more than 40. I am so happy she talked us into the sport.

We are slowly accumulating equipment. All of us have basics - fins, mask, snorkel, and suits. Next we want to purchase dive computers. We need a computer that has large numbers, easy to use, logs dives, beeps loud, times safety stops and has a good backlight. I am having a hard time wading through online sites to determine which watches support the wish list. I thought the Cressi Leonardo was a winner, but from what I gather it does not time safety stops (or perhaps I am reading that wrong). We don't need high tech but something reliable and on the lower end of the cost range. Can someone recommend a few computers that might fit the specs? If you can't recommend specific brands can you point me to a site where I might find a detailed filter for selecting a dive computers?

Also, we are heading to Bonaire in April for our next vacation. I hope to take advantage of the shore diving, however, it will be the first time (my husband and I) will will have dove without a DM. Would it be suggested to hire someone to lead one shore dive with us to review the proper procedures?

My daughter is on the road to accumulating PADI certifications. She has a goal to work her summers as a DM once she reaches college. She has Advanced and a few other certs already. The resort we are staying at offers several but she is trying to determine if Bonaire would be a better place to become certified with Deep Diver or Wreck Diver. Could anyone offer specifics to compare the two relating to the atmosphere on Bonaire?

Last question I have - I can't seem to find a way to 'search' the forums. I was hoping I could find the answers to these questions already posted, but I don't see a search box. Am I missing it (that would not surprise me) or does the site not support a search function?

Thanks for all responses

I love the Oceanic and Hollis brands for their simplicity and they are easy for this almost 60 year old to read under any conditions.

Directly under your screen name is a field called "Search..."

Directly under your screen name is a field called "Search..."
He means the one near the top of the page and not by your post. :D :D :D

That is why he is Chairman of the Board. :)

Ahhhhh, thanks I was looking closer to the thread area.

I have been using Suunto's for years, although I understand that they are not so well supported in the USA.

I would avoid 'watches' in favour of a dedicated dive computer. I would also avoid console, or hose mounted units. Stick with wrist mounted dive computers.
Also, although I know that No Stop (no compulsory decompression stops) diving is the standard in the USA, I would also recommend a computer that displays the stop depth AND time. In the event that you do overstay, it is far more comfortable knowing how long you have to wait before surfacing than just waiting for the computer to clear.

Recommendations
1. Wrist mounted Dedicated dive computer.
2. Displays decompression and time, in the event No Stop time exceeded
3. Nitrox compatible
4. Don't bother with air integrated.

Gareth

Recommendations
1. Wrist mounted Dedicated dive computer.
2. Displays decompression and time, in the event No Stop time exceeded
3. Nitrox compatible
4. Don't bother with air integrated.

You'll get a lot of opinions from a lot of divers (at least one per) if you're asking around. For example, Gareth recommended Suunto but I personally have a fervent hatred for their algorithm (as well as the one for Cressi and Mares). However, I agree completely with his four above recommendations.

Netdoc mentioned Hollis and Oceanic, but the Hollis computer I usually recommend is getting hard to find. For Oceanics, my wife has and loves a Geo 2.0. The screen is small but very clear and crisp and easy to read. I have a Hollis DG03 (rarely use it now), but the Oceanic Veos do well. For the Oceanic "Dual Algorithm" computers I much prefer Pelagic Z+ over their DSAT program....but neither is objectively "safer" or "better."

My recommendation against Cressi, Mares, and Suunto is that they use a similar algorithm and it has certain characteristics I don't like. They all penalize for short surface intervals and multiple dives more than I have found to be necessary. So, for Bonaire, your 3rd, 4th, and 5th dives will start getting progressively much shorter. With the Oceanic (especially Pelagic Z+), your first dive time might be shorter....but you'll have longer repetitive dives. Their dual-algorithm is a neat feature and allows you to try two very different models and find which one you like better.

I will go out and say I recommend against beeping computers, especially loud ones. The issue is that if a computer starts beeping you have no idea whos it is, or why it is beeping... Better to have a color screen that starts flashing at you to get your individual attention. That said, that removes the cost advantage, because they are all fairly expensive.
Perdix and Seabear H3 are certainly the best options out there, however the Oceanic Geo 2.0 is probably the best budget friendly computer out there. At some point in the next few weeks, expect a lot of hype when the product for Deep6 comes out and that will be the best budget friendly computer out there.

I have been using the hockey puck Oceanic computers (These were the older Veo series which has been superceded now). Most numbers and readouts are large and easy to see. It times the safety stops. I don't try to do deco diving so I can't say if it has a timer there or not. The user manuals are online. It has a good backlight but I try not to use it much to save the battery. They are fairly inexpensive. I turned off all the beeps and tones for everything. I use them in a console and have a backup in a wrist mount. I use a dedicated hard plastic cover over my console computer but in air and with lots of scratches it is a bit tough to see but the covers are cheap and replaceable.
My wife does not like shore diving so neither do I :) so no help for that.

Reactions: BRT
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom