So is Kelly's on the Bay/Aquanuts closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LJinFLA

Contributor
Reaction score
I read a post here in August that Kelly's on the Bay and Aquanuts are closing. However, their web site is still open and shows the new owners. i emailed them but have not heard back. Does anyone know if they did sell out to the developers or not? i want to go down there in a month and again in June.

LJ

i am pretty sure there closed, you might want to try hms minnow or conch republic divers

Closed under the Kelly's/Aqua-Nuts name - now known as Crystal Clear Charters; same number, though, 800-226-0415.

daniel f aleman:
Closed under the Kelly's/Aqua-Nuts name - now known as Crystal Clear Charters; same number, though, 800-226-0415.

Do you know their web site? Are they now operating out of Tavernier? i was down there in October and stayed at Tropic Vista Dive Resort in Tavernier and they had two big Newton Dive boats that we took out. They said they were recently purchased but iI thought they purchased them from Tropic Vista's operation. They wore shirts that said Crystal Clear (or was is Christyl Clear) They said they were buying up a number of operators boats and building a fleet that would cover all the best spots in the keys. Is that the same operation? Is the Tavernier operation the old Kelly's/Aquanuts boats?

LJ

Crystal Clear Charters (fishing) is out of Cudjoe Key - they indeed are buying several operators to expand throughout the Keys, AquaNuts, is one of them. Not sure about assets or boat dispositions...

LJinFLA:
Do you know their web site? Are they now operating out of Tavernier? i was down there in October and stayed at Tropic Vista Dive Resort in Tavernier and they had two big Newton Dive boats that we took out. They said they were recently purchased but iI thought they purchased them from Tropic Vista's operation. They wore shirts that said Crystal Clear (or was is Christyl Clear) They said they were buying up a number of operators boats and building a fleet that would cover all the best spots in the keys. Is that the same operation? Is the Tavernier operation the old Kelly's/Aquanuts boats?

LJ
Cay Clubs purchased and closed Kellys Motel and Aqua-Nuts. The boats are still running dive trips under the auspices of Cristal Clear Charters. The new website is not yet up and running, but will be located at www.cristalclearcharters.com

At least one of the old 42' Newtons is now operating out of Tavernier... not sure where the other one went. I believe that the Tropic Vista already had a 46' Newton.

Brent is correct. Cay Clubs bought not only Kelly's and Tropic Vista, but also Dive Inn and Island Reef Divers. Not sure of other properties or dive ops but did hear they bought some marinas in Marathon as well.

One of Aqua-Nuts boats is sitting behind Topic Vista along with Tropic Diver which is now Cristal Clear Diver.

deeper thoughts:
i am pretty sure there closed, you might want to try hms minnow or conch republic divers

I've heard great things about Conch Republic Divers and Tavernier Divers, and KeyLargoBrent is associated with Blue Water Divers, which I've also heard nice things about, but I'd suggest steering clear of HMS Minnow. My wife and I had a very bad experience with them a few years ago. We found them on Undercurrent, and I would never use them again due to some serious concerns over their handling of diver safety issues.

-Grier

What happened with the HMS Minnow? They are on my short list of operators in Key Largo because of the Undercurrent review and the fact they are a 6-pack and not diesel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom