so hard to find the perfect knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a lot of consideration and back-and-forth, I went with a kind of a kit rather than one, relatively expensive knife. I still like the Benchmade 112 a lot and may get one someday, but for now, I'll be diving with a Dive-Rite thigh pouch, a Trilobite line cutter and a UK Fusilier knife (about the same size as the 112 and a similar blade profile) - all for about the same price as the 112. In the end, the fact I'm a new diver coupled with the fact I'm landlocked in Denver played really heavily into the decision to try to make my Scuba funds stretch a bit.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on the Fusilier.

After a lot of consideration and back-and-forth, I went with a kind of a kit rather than one, relatively expensive knife. I still like the Benchmade 112 a lot and may get one someday, but for now, I'll be diving with a Dive-Rite thigh pouch, a Trilobite line cutter and a UK Fusilier knife (about the same size as the 112 and a similar blade profile) - all for about the same price as the 112. In the end, the fact I'm a new diver coupled with the fact I'm landlocked in Denver played really heavily into the decision to try to make my Scuba funds stretch a bit.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on the Fusilier.

For about half the price, I'd get trauma sheers, the trilobite, and chop the tip off a steak knife.

I had this knife for about a year: Amazon.com : Cressi Lima Stainless Steel (2.95" Blade) Tactical Dive Knife, for Scuba Diving, Snorkeling and Water Sports : Divers Knives And Shears : Sports & Outdoors

I never noticed any rust on it, and never cleaned it any more than I clean all of my gear. Unfortunately, a crab in mexico is now using it for self defense. The sheath is still bolted into my dive right weight pouch receivers.

They do make a titanium model that is identical except for the metal and price tag.

Now days I just keep a z-knife on my computer wrist strap. Other than a cave training dive where I had to cut and reattach a line, I've never had to use a blade of any kind in the water. For that task, the disposable z-knife was perfect.

I wasn't able to clean as well where the blade goes into the rubber handle. There is some small amount of rust there, though some of that is rust that has been wiped off the blade and stuck to the handle. There is also a little bit of salt accumulated there. It's just really hard to clean that area!

toothbrush and paste, done

I have one similar to Dive Gear Express' tek dive knife. Only 15cm, full body titanium.

DGX Titanium Tek Dive Knife

And very good price, considering these do look very similar to Scubapro X-cut & Halcyon's tek knife.

I'd like to add a small steak or paring knife on my inflator, but can't quite figure out a sheath for it. I have a BFK on my lower leg, but its way overkill except when the sharks are sniffing around during lionfish hunts. Carry a trilobite and scissors, so the inflator knife would be just a constant unobtrusive but sharp alternate. No need for Ti or any of that stuff - sheffield steel is fine.

Any sheath ideas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom