So confused by regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, so without a doubt regulators are the most personal and vital equipment that a diver can own. Having just started in the sport (and getting absolutely addicted) I have found regulators absolutely intimidating to shop for... my requirements are pretty simple:

1. Above everything else it must be reliable.
2. Must be DIN. Simply because the DIN <--> Yoke adapter is so cheap. I see no reason to go yoke.
3. Living in Maine I want a reg that will grow with my diving skill... so cold water is a must. This means sealed first stage at the very least. But I also want it to be good at great depth (for when I get there)
4. Servicing should be easy... whatever that means. I don't want a hassle when it comes time for it to be serviced.

So I know you don't need to get the top of the line regulator, but in a way it would make me feel better. Something so vital to life, I see no problem with dropping a chunk of change on it.

So I am looking for recommendations, things to look for, things to avoid. Good shopping sites to find DIN regs? Leisurepro has a pretty poor selection of DIN based regs.

So here are a few that I have found that look interesting:

Dive Rite Hurricane
Dive Rite Jetstream
Zeagle ZX- Flathead VI

Now there are a few that I can't find in DIN online, but I know they exist...
Apeks XTX200
Atomic Aquatics ST1
Aqualung Legend LX ACD Supreme

Anything here stand out? Missing? I know I should try them all, but that isn't really feasible. Plus I could never test them all under all dive conditions. Hints, tips, personal experience is welcome.

Thanks!
Sam

I read that post about pre dive testing of reg, and how you can not form a vacumn if you had an atomic. And how water can enter the second stage of the atomic, if it is not pressurized while rinsing...

I really wonder if it is all worth that much ... for the easy breathing, I mean.... If all that technology put your regulator at risk for salt water contamination and damage. And you can't test the second stage exhaust valve for patency by sucking on the reg till it goes dry.... because it is leaking air into the system.

For easy servicing, you need to find a brand that your local LDS's Carry, this way you aren't sending it out, or driving yourself mad looking for a dealer. Actually due to the experience i had, I say find a brand that more then 1 lds in your area carries if easy servicing is important (for when one closes down or gets swamped)

I don't know why you left Sherwood out. They are known to be reliable due to their dry first stage (tiny little bubbles streams out of them under water). You don't have to deal with the oily mess (cold water seal) when you service them. They are not the best breathing regulator out there, but they are reliable, and easy to service. Many folks swear by them for being cold water reliable, including some artic expedition team.

A lot of good Canadian divers swear by Apeks regs,we dive very cold water all the time including under the ice, so the temps would be similar to what you dive in the ocean off of Maine. They are easy to get parts and service for and have a lifetime warranty ( under maintenance plan). Apeks XTX50 or 200 with DS4 first stage is a nice setup.

I vote for Apeks, which you can get in DIN.
I've owned oceanic (Delta3) and scubapro mid-level regs and realized upon trying the Apeks what a difference a top notch reg can make. A premium reg will make your diving experience exponentially better.

Several dive buddies enjoy the Scubapro s600, which should be easily serviced anywhere.

Any of the reg's listed will do you just fine.

I have to add I used my Scubapro Mk10/G250 for years of Ice Diving and NEVER had a freezing problem.

All the hoopla about the little gizmo that keeps the water out during rising is just that. If you bump it it leaks.

I don't know why you left Sherwood out. They are known to be reliable due to their dry first stage (tiny little bubbles streams out of them under water). You don't have to deal with the oily mess (cold water seal) when you service them. They are not the best breathing regulator out there, but they are reliable, and easy to service. Many folks swear by them for being cold water reliable, including some artic expedition team.

Um,,sorry just my opinion , Sherwood was the first reg I ever owned, it was also the first reg that freeflowed on me in only 40 degree F water, its sitting in my closet now if anyone wants to buy it ,its for sale.

Now there are a few that I can't find in DIN online, but I know they exist...
Apeks XTX200
Atomic Aquatics ST1
Aqualung Legend LX ACD Supreme

The Aqualung Legen LX ACD Supreme is the same exact regulator as the "non Supreme" reg. The only difference is the Intermediate Pressure setting at the factory and the rest is cosmetic.

The cosmetic differences are the added removeable 'lip guard', the silver 'pimp ring', and a snowflake logo cast in the plastic 2nd stage housing.

Soooo... if you don't want the lip guard, or want the gold 'pimp ring', you can get the non-Supreme and get the same physical regulator.

Just FYI in case you didn't know....

oh.. and you CAN get it in DIN. (mine is DIN for example). The reason you won't find it online in DIN is that officially Aqualung and APEKS online sales aren't allowed per dealer agreement by Aqualung. Atomics sales are allowed online, but it's new in the past year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom