So conflicted - Perdix AI, or wait and gamble on a Peregrine AI appearing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

first rule of scuba..... don't hold your breath.....

edit: For the record, I waited quite a bit, and finally bought a Petrel1, only to have the Petrel2 come out within 2 months. I waited a long time after that, and bought a Petrel AI. A month later the Teric shows up on the market (not that it was something I really wanted)....

Unless Shearwater changes their philosophy behind the Peregrine I doubt you will see a Peregrine "AI" in the future. The Peregrine is deliberately engineered for value, and last I was told there were no provisions made for a later AI upgrade. Make the engineering changes to a Peregrine to give it AI and you get something that is close to a Perdix AI and also with a Perdix AI price. Put a Perdix (without the AI) in sport nitrox mode and turn off the compass then you pretty much have an expensive Peregrine.

If AI is important to you or you want to "hedge" against the future and willing to pay the price now for features you don't need now but might want later, then buy the Perdix AI or Teric. If trimix, user changeable battery or an electronic compass is important, then buy the Perdix. If none of those are significant, then buy the Peregrine.

Put a Perdix (without the AI) in sport nitrox mode and turn off the compass then you pretty much have an expensive Peregrine.

I like it. :acclaim:

Save more money & get a Teric.

The bright & colorful display helps showing all the things I need to know in a dive, as shown below:
Depth =132.7 feet
Tank pressure (TI) = 2580 psi
NDL = 3 min
Time to surface (TTS) = 9 min
Gas Time Remaining (GTR) >TTS (I forgot to turn it on at the time)
Water temperature = 78 F
Dive time = 6 min & 43 sec
Breathing Gas = 21% (Air)
Home direction = green dot
North = Red arrow.

E4005CD4-9E10-45F1-8311-F0BC59A73E19.jpeg

The Teric says air.

Yep, my bad. For that particular deep dive we switched to air. We were on EAN32 for the whole week, except for that dive. Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected the original post accordingly.

One thing good about Teric, we can switch (make correction of) the gas use while diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom