So Cal Kelp Divers come to Ft Lauderdale in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
a) Haven't booked the Friday dives in WPB, yet. I'm figuring I'll dig into the SB archives and read a few zillion trip reports and throw out a couple of candidates for critique. I was thinking 2 boat dives in the AM. I don't know yet. But from what I read the topography and general diving there is a bit different the FLL - so I want to get some more flavah of the Florida thing.
Actually going over the costs of the trips, i dont think two more sets of boat dives is out of the question, as for operations and sites, there are plenty and plenty. Let us know as you read through what kind of things you are hoping to do. I will say that getting a few dives in offshore of the SE coast might help aclimate to the currents down on the Keys too - i have no idea how strong your currents are in SoCal.

Mo2vation:
c) Sunday is all about Scuba (errr TourGuide) Jenny and her wacky, madcap adventures and post-dive party activities. Popano sounds cool - sort of between the two. Nothing is really too far away there, by SoCal standards.
From what i see there are quite a few shore diving options, in Hollywood, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano and some other areas too - were you thinking of doing a tour around the various beaches or several in one specific area?

CBulla:
I think a beach tour would be fabulous. If ya'll do boats, I'll be watching from there anyway :D
It wouldnt be a cheap weekend for sure, with 2 or 4 dives on friday at $50 per trip and the same on saturday, with maybe about 8 nitrox and 4+ air fills to cover the night and day shore diving - plus gas, accomodation and food. However i have again struck up a deal for free accomm, so that is one cost lessened - still looking at $300 in diving costs plus food, so say $400 for the weekend - but i am hoping to get at least 12 dives in as well, so that kind of makes up for it :wink:

simbrooks:
It wouldnt be a cheap weekend for sure, with 2 or 4 dives on friday at $50 per trip and the same on saturday, with maybe about 8 nitrox and 4+ air fills to cover the night and day shore diving - plus gas, accomodation and food. However i have again struck up a deal for free accomm, so that is one cost lessened - still looking at $300 in diving costs plus food, so say $400 for the weekend - but i am hoping to get at least 12 dives in as well, so that kind of makes up for it :wink:

In SoCal, you can't get on a boat for a 3 tanker for less than about $100. There are the $80 trips, but then you're paying for grub, fills, parking and tip. Plus, its an all day sucker.

I LOVE the idea of the $50 two dive 4 hour trip's you guys have. Being close to good diving is a blessing you Floridites have. That's what I'm thinking about on Friday in the WPB area. Grab an AM boat dive, then grab a mellow lunch and likely do a beacher or two. Jaye will probably sit out the back half of that day and join the night dive later. I won't be able to stay out of the water.

On Sat - yeah, its an AM and PM in the keys.

Current in SoCal is probably like anywhere else - depends on the site. I've been to places where, if you didn't plan well, you could easily come up a couple of hundred yards from the boat. Its nothing like a drift dive, but it can get pretty strong. You just have to be smart, aware and plan for it. PLUS, its easy to tell (with the Kelp) what the heck is going on down there...

Sunday is all Ft Lauderdale all the time. Beach dive mania - unless Jenny has other plans for us (!)

Looks like the only night dive will be Friday night, as we'll be driving back from the Keys Sat, and Sunday is a no-dive after dinner day.

This will be fun.

K

Mike Jacobs has just suggested we lock up a trip to the Tennaco Towers with Parrot Island http://www.parrotislandscuba.com/ i am thinking if you would like to that could be your friday AM dive, its kind of deep, but interesting nonetheless.

I was wondering about doing a set of profiles like 8/6 AM 80/60 PM 80/60, night 25/20, then 8/7 AM 120/50, PM 100/50 and sunday's set of beach dives around 20-25, whether that might be a lot of N2 loading, so if we trim back 8/6's dives to 120/60 and then some shallow 20-25 in the PM and night that might be better for us - both in body and pocketbook :wink:

We could still do the two sets of boat dives, however i feel the strongest dose of nitrox possible will be in order to keep that much diving under control!! Also in a similar vein, having an afternoon and evening set of dives on 8/6 might allow a greater incorporation of divers who are more budget limited to join in the fun. I am happy either way to get wet :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom