So Cal Kelp Divers come to Ft Lauderdale in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a couple of SouthWest tickets that need to be used by August, so I thought me and Wifie would squeeze in a long weekend in FL for some Kelpless warmwater diving.

It was a toss up - PNW or FL, but a wonderful, thoughtful friend offered me a second tix, so bolf Jaye and I are coming east. (I owe you big time, Liliquoi...you are the best)

We'll fly in Thursday, August 5th - at about 5:00 PM. I see us diving our faces off Friday and Saturday (with some night diving, for sure) and maybe half a day Sunday. We'll leave Monday night at 5:35 PM.

Mix in some beach fun, nightlife and silly hyjinks and I plan on sleeping all the way home on Monday.

So Cal boy in FL. Could be fun.

Your own Scuba Jenny has been inspirational in closing the deal to get me/ us there. We haven't booked a place to stay yet. I'm thinking diving in the Ft Lauderdale area - beach diving, boat diving, wrecks, reefs, etc. Burning a day to go to the keys currently isn't part of the plan - but if you can convince me, I may re-consider.

Anyway - I need some of you local types to help me plan the fineries of this trip. If we can mix in an SB slam, I'm surely into that, too.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Ken

Well, since I am mentioned, I minus well chip in first with a WELCOME TO FLORIDUH!! Hope you and Jaye have a good time diving and enjoy our Florida SB hospitality.

Hoping others will chime in and give you good ideas on where to stay, what to do...

I came to Florida on Vacation and havn't left yet. That was 15 years ago. I didn't even dive back then. :07:
Fred

Mo2vation:
I need some of you local types to help me plan the fineries of this trip. If we can mix in an SB slam, I'm surely into that, too.
Cool, Ken, you'll have a blast for sure. I dove from 1982 to 1991 in the Southern California kelp and *much* prefer it here... you're in for some good memories.

Here's what I'd suggest - our reef offshore is only 15' max so you can actually dive your last day. Yes, I know I'll get slammed for that but the truth is that the local hyperberic chamber drops people to 2.5 atmospheres for an hour of chemical/oxygen thereapy and they fly out a few hours later. Really. We also solo dive here a lot, so we're renegades from the dive-bible thumpers.

So, if you're going to the Keys (highly recommended) I'd do that first. Many of us dive with Captain Brian at Island Ventures because they're close and have two great restaurants right there. http://www.islandventure.com/ 1-866-293-5006. Others will have suggests as well, I'm sure. I'd make sure the dive will include either the Spiegel Grove or the Duane... both are very memorable. The round-trip is a day by car, and it's better to drive early in the AM and come back in the afternoon because of Miami traffic... we'll give you more info if you decide to do this.

As far as staying here in town, Lauderdale by the Sea seems to be the center for most of the group-dives so I suggest you find a place on the even numbered address-side on El Mar Drive. Put my address into Yahoo maps and search for hotels: 4200 El Mar Drive, 33308. If you want something a little more economical, A1A has descent motels in the $45/night range. We like to recommend Best Inn on A1A/Ocean Blvd. because they have a GREAT bar/restaurant downstairs. You'll have to drive to dive (you'll need quarters for the meter) but it's only 2-3 minutes.

All of our local boat operators here are great. I recommend lighthouse dive center becuase they're nearby and affiliated with most of the local captains. http://www.lighthousedive.com/ (954) 788-0208.

Finally, to get a group dive together, just post something in the "Private" Trips subforum below Florida Conch Divers or wait for somebody else to do so and join in. We normally do something every weekend (Saturday and Sunday) and even some weekdays. A date/time/place format is best so that you get the most bang for the buck. Less specific post subjects seem to get a lower turnout.

Mike, you rock

OK - I have all of 2 warm water dives. Bolf of these were in East Cape (Cabo ajacent) in 84 top, 78 bottom. I did two in a day, in a Lycra skin.

If I'm gonna be diving my face off (better, Jaye and I) for several days, will more proper exposure protection be in order?

Maybe a shortie 3mm, or a 1 piece 3mm? We dive drysuits in So Ca. Do you locals who do 3 - 5 dives in a day dive in skins or thin neo?

Thanks -

K

Ken
Shore diving ain't easy, with the walk in full gear on the beach, the surf zone, and swim out to the reef. I can do 2 in a day, with a guaranteed good nights sleep! So to answer your question, skins should be fine, or if you want, a 3mil shorty. Yesterday's water temp was 84, dove with skins and was fine.

Scuba_Jenny:
Ken
Shore diving ain't easy, with the walk in full gear on the beach, the surf zone, and swim out to the reef. I can do 2 in a day, with a guaranteed good nights sleep! So to answer your question, skins should be fine, or if you want, a 3mil shorty. Yesterday's water temp was 84, dove with skins and was fine.

I'm sure its no worse than shore diving here.

No nastys in the water that will require coverage? If that's the case I'll pick up the shorties and they'll dounle as kayak wear out here.

Thanks!

K

There are nasties, but hey what great souveniers, eh? LOL. Personally I dive with skins...just in case, but if there are nasties you will get them regardless of what protection you wear...

Amusingly, it looks like I'm going to be in FL this July myself for a family reunion in Gainesville and I should have time to run down to Ft. Lauderdale and the Keys for a few days afterwards for some diving. Thanks for all of the info, guys!

Mo2vation:
SNIP...Maybe a shortie 3mm, or a 1 piece 3mm? We dive drysuits in So Ca. Do you locals who do 3 - 5 dives in a day dive in skins or thin neo?
Ken, it all depends on your physical constitution. If you are a polar bear like me you can dive anything here in skins or even just trunks from now through January. The most cold-sensitive person I dive with only wears a 3/2 during the summer, even at depth.

Of course you are right- it may get chilly after several dives, even at the shore in 85-88 degree water. If you're going to do a couple of boat dives in a day (4 tanks), two will be wrecks at depth and you might be glad to have something thin.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom