So about my buddy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As many have said try to get a mentor or 2 from a local dive club to dive with you.

I do however wonder who mentored the first divers?

1_T_Submariner:
As many have said try to get a mentor or 2 from a local dive club to dive with you.

I do however wonder who mentored the first divers?

I just can't help myself...as far a scuba goes some French guy named Jacques I believe:eyebrow:

cascbagrl:
The main question I would ask is are you both capable of handling an emergency situation if one should arise? There are plenty of dive operations in the Keys, I would suggest diving with them a few times and getting more familiar with diving before venturing out on your own.
A few people have suggested more diving in the Keys. Note that OP is in Massachusetts and talking about diving the outer harbor, presumably they are talking about Boston Harbor or someplace around there.

So, by now you've probably gotten the point that despite certification, you need to assess your skills and decide for your self whether or not you're ready. That said, here's a couple of less dramatic options to consider.

For starters, you're in Quincy and there are 2 fantastic charter ops within minutes of you. Both of them have DM's that will dive with you. In addition to that, most of the LDS' run FREE guided shore dives (PG Dive in Newton is GREAT for this). If you want a little more, they also book charters for a couple of the larger boats... accompanied by a DM. If you think you're good to go but want someone else to handle the boat, Gloucester has no less than 4 charter ops all going out of the Cape Ann Marina. If none of that works for you, there's tons of reasonably low key shore dives to be found up in Cape Ann.

A word of caution -Diving with DM is not a guarantee of safety. You really should feel cofident in your ability before getting in the water with anyone.

Finally, as a long time Boston boater, I can tell you for sure that the harbor and islands (or really anywhere) are no place to leave a boat unattended. Traffic, unpredictable currents, wind, crappy bottom structure.... the list goes on.

Damselfish:
A few people have suggested more diving in the Keys. Note that OP is in Massachusetts and talking about diving the outer harbor, presumably they are talking about Boston Harbor or someplace around there.
Such is truth, they need to dive where they want to dive not the Keys

Thanks for all your input! I'm joining a local dive society for the New England Aquarium, plus I've got a Marine Biology teacher who is a dive instructor.

We wouldn't leave the boat unattended, of course. ITs a 40' passenger ferry and we've been running out of hingham for 30 years.

I can't wait to log some more dives!

I say go for it !!You did take all of the required tests and demonstrated that you can handle all of the very strong guidelines that padi has implanted to have there OW certification .

As well your instructors would not have passed you if they did not feel you could not handle your self.

So get out there and dive like nobody is watching!!:)

Don't rush it. Be safe to dive another day.
Diving should be something fun with divers try to minimal the risk as much as possible.
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom