So about my buddy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAlphaMag

Reaction score
My uncle and I just got our OW cert in the Florida Keys. We have 4 dives to our names- the ones with our instructor.

We have a boat, so its easy to just pack up and hoot out to the outer harbor for some dives.

Do you think it would be safe for two generally inexperienced divers to dive togethor? I think I would be the one keeping an eye on things if you get what I mean.

I just got my c-card in the mail yesterday so I'm eager to hoot down to the LDS and rent some gear. :D

If you feel even the slightest bit uncomfortable with diving in a place that may be unfamiliar to you with another new diver, don't be shy about hiring a DM or instructor as a guide the first time. Make sure they are familair with the site. Heck, they can even show points of interest you may miss on your own. After a guided dive, you should then have a general knowlege of the site & then from there decide if you feel comfortable trying with your uncle on your own. Trust your gut feeling, it is usually right. Good luck to you

Simply said...........NO its not safe. My recommendation is to go join a local dive club and make several dives with them first. Find the most experienced diver and make him your buddy on enough dives to where you are comfortable and confident about your enviorment. THEN........take him to your dive site and dive with him there. Explore around and get used to the area.

Then maybe..........take some time.

Happy Diving

TAM,

You've just received your c-card. What do you think.

You have been taught, ostensibly, to dive safely within the parameters of your dive training. Do YOU think there is an issue?

Sometimes more "experienced" divers are less likely to be able to respond to an emergency situation because there has been such a long period of time between their current level of diving and their training. Just because they've been diving longer doesn't necessarily mean they're safer or better divers. In fact, prolonged repetition of bad diving habits possibly could create a more dangerous buddy.

Just another perspective . . .

the K

TheAlphaMag:
My uncle and I just got our OW cert in the Florida Keys. We have 4 dives to our names- the ones with our instructor.

We have a boat, so its easy to just pack up and hoot out to the outer harbor for some dives.

Do you think it would be safe for two generally inexperienced divers to dive togethor? I think I would be the one keeping an eye on things if you get what I mean.

I just got my c-card in the mail yesterday so I'm eager to hoot down to the LDS and rent some gear. :D

Who is watching the boat while you are diving? This is not a good idea for many reasons.

dkktsunami:
Who is watching the boat while you are diving? This is not a good idea for many reasons.

I agree. I think it would be much safer to go to the Keys and dive on some charters. They could make independent dives and still have rescue personnel on the boat.

Do you have enough room on your boat for additional divers? If so then maybe you can invite others to join you. If you pick up one additional experienced diver then 2 of you can dive while one sits in the boat. Then swap. You can each get in 2 dives for a total of 3 dives off of the boat. You should be able to get a couple of extra divers to help split the cost of gas with you for access to your boat and a days diving.

There are no right answers. Or they're all right to some extent. But you're going to get a TON of responses from people with very extreme opinions. They will belittle your skills and make fun of your dog. You will be told to NOT dive because it's crazy for two new divers to dive in 10ft swells, 3 ft visibility, 8 knot current, surrounded by deadly lion fish. Plus, you're at a disadvantage and liable to die soon anyway because you're not DIR, GUE, HOG-diving or whatever they call it.

As you probably learned in your training, dive to your abilities and don't exceed them. It all depends on the conditions. Personally, if the dive was fairly shallow and the water calm, and you're both VERY GOOD AT BEING BUDDIES, then you're probably ok. It's all about having a good buddy. That can get you through just about anything.

Good luck.

TheAlphaMag:

It would probably be a better idea to join a local dive club and get some experience by going along on club dives for a while.

i agree with every one but there is no right anwser its all about how you feel about it no one else is on the line but you and your dive buddy i would personaly hook up with a rescue dive or dive master or at least a more exp. dive or group of divers get some more bottom time it you have a boat and its big enuff for 5 people 4 divers and a person to stay on the boat to watch i would get another team to geither since you have a boat you should have no problems finding some one just because of the boat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom