Snuba ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SNUBA is nothing new. Just a new "catchy" name. It's essentially surface supplied diving or "hooka" diving. It's been around longer than SCUBA.

My lovely bride did a SNUBA dive on the FairWinds in Kona Hawaii. It IS what turned her on to diving. The orientation was very complete and the instructor was very attentive. When do right, this is a safe way to introduce people to diving.

BTW, She will do her 99 and 100th dive in November, exactly 3 years after her certification.

Not sure if it is the same thing but I read about a unit that is basically a scuba Kit except the diver can not let the air out of his BC, so it is snorkling with a scuba regulator in your mouth, on the surface. seems like a lot of equipment to replace the simple snorkle but whatever floats your boat.

SailNaked, you discribed the air supplied sknokling system. It is a SCUBA rig with a personal floatation device designed for really young kids to paddle around on the surface with. Save you money and buy a snorkle instead.

Muddiver's explanation was a little buried, so I thought I would bring it out more prominently. This is not the same thing as SNUBA, and it is intended as he describes.

What I keep wondering is, if it's called "common sense", why isn't it more COMMON?

I have been considering adding a "hookah" tank to my standard dive set up.
Hookah alone, probably not. Hookah with a standard SCUBA set up, shure just adds a second tank to your dive. A dive computer is required to do this, and know your tables well.
The hookah line can be up to 100'. Start your dive with the hookah line for ~30 to 40 min. switch to your main SCUBA reg and continue your dive as you would normaly, and ditch the hookah line.
You and your buddy can use the same "hookah" tank and still no problems. Just a longer botom time. Great for one long dive, and a very long surface interval.

Hookah alone, probably not. Hookah with a standard SCUBA set up, shure just adds a second tank to your dive. A dive computer is required to do this, and know your tables well.
The hookah line can be up to 100'. Start your dive with the hookah line for ~30 to 40 min. switch to your main SCUBA reg and continue your dive as you would normaly, and ditch the hookah line.
You and your buddy can use the same "hookah" tank and still no problems. Just a longer botom time. Great for one long dive, and a very long surface interval.

Be careful about going into deco.

I think bigger tanks and/or doubles would be a much simpler and all around better option.

My wife and I did SNUBA together on St. John, USVI. 6 Months later we got our OW cert. In retrospect, we had a good briefing, including the "whatever you do, don't ever hold your breath!" speech.

It was a wonderful entre' to the underwater world and made us very interested in persuing SCUBA.

It's no substitute, and you'll only want to do it once...either you'll love it and want to move on to SCUBA, or you won't like it and that will be that.

Give it a go!

I did this with my fiancé in kona hawaii as well, it was a raft with 2 large cylinders on it and 6 people all attached to the same raft. I had a blast, I was told not to hold my breath and was told that if my regulator stopped working than to swim to the surface. I can't remember them telling me to swim to the surface while blowing bubbles... I think they expected us to put two and two together. its been a while though so i could very well be wrong. They did mention about how to equalize our ears and some other basics as well. it was a 25 foot hose and they all got tangled up pretty good by the end. I don’t imagine this would be such a problem if you were two to a raft though. The guide would keep an eye on the tank pressure while we were swimming and add weights to us as he felt necessary. there was no BCD to worry about just the snorkel, mask, fins that they supplied. the regulator was strapped to our chest so it wouldn't get yanked from our mouths while we pulled the raft around and a weight belt to keep us down. We wanted to do this "Excursion" (we were on a cruse at the time) so we could get a glimpse at what scuba diving is about without taking up the whole amount of time that we were anchored there. We both enjoyed the whole experience tons enough to get open water certified and as of this 14th Dry suit certified WOOT! :banana: :cheerleader:

I figure this is a good way to get people interested in the sport and if you have little interest in getting certified than its a good way that will allow you to see the underworld in a slightly controlled manor.

Be sure not to dive with a cold, always breath, this means if the reg stops working than blow a small stream of bubbles through the reg all the way up to the surface and if you have difficulty equalizing your ears try ascending then equalizing before you even submerge then every few feet there after (Do not force your ears to equalize by blowing hard while under water)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom