Snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

some people have abandoned them for various reasons, the rest just followed the latest trend and what the cool kids were doing. It will eventually swing back into vogue

some people have abandoned them for various reasons, the rest just followed the latest trend and what the cool kids were doing. It will eventually swing back into vogue
Yes, there will be a new specialty course titled, "How to Use Your Snorkel with Scuba." Wow, safety in diving is not a trend, or "what the cool kids were doing"!

SeaRat

John,
What a capital idea a "Snorkeling course"

Something these modern expert late model tube suckers bubbled blowers should have mastered before they entered the UW world or during their much abbreviated diving "Course"' and all too soon in short time and a few dives they will be "Master Divers"

We are a witness to history - the emergence of the 'modern diver"

SAM

For anyone on the fence and considering a contingency snorkel, the XS SCUBA Cargo folding snorkel...

Cargo

....fits snugly into a Scubapro X-tek Counter Weight pocket...

https://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/x-tek/products/counter-weight-pocket.aspx

I like to snorkel if there's enough to look at, shallow, but if I'm going snorkeling (or I otherwise know I'm going to utilize my snorkel) I'd rather have a full-featured, solid snorkel than a folding one. If I don't know for sure I need one, however, I'd rather not have the annoyance of having one stuck to my head.

Yes, there will be a new specialty course titled, "How to Use Your Snorkel with Scuba...

Here's a novel concept, the NAUI dive instructor up here (down here to you) actually teaches students to freedive BEFORE starting Scuba. Oh wait, it sounds familiar. :wink:

Something these modern expert late model tube suckers bubbled blowers should have mastered before they entered the UW world or during their much abbreviated diving "Course"' and all too soon in short time and a few dives they will be "Master Divers"

We are a witness to history - the emergence of the 'modern diver"
How about learning to freedive instead of snorkeling? To me it's about feeling at ease in and under water. I don't need a snorkel for that.

I agree however that very few divers are really comfortable underwater. Comfortable in doing a valve or safety drill without their mask on for example. Not even instructors and divemasters that I know can't do that with confidence and without fear. Most of them don't even dare to jump in the water without their reg in their mouth. Thats the real problem as far as I'am concerned: not being able to cope with stress caused by loss of equipment. Snorkeling helps, but there are more ways to achieve this.

Here's a novel concept, the NAUI dive instructor up here (down here to you) actually teaches students to freedive BEFORE starting Scuba. Oh wait, it sounds familiar. :wink:

How absurd. Next you'll be suggesting they teach people how to swim before they learn to free-dive.

I'm waiting for all the "Master" divers with less than 50 dives who were told by their zero to hero instructor with 100 dives and 2 years experience that you are all wrong and set all you old guys straight.........free diving,swimming oh the horror

Waits..............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom