Snorkeling photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that is pretty amazing! Did you know the bait ball was forming there or was it dumb luck you came upon it?
From September to December , there are constant baitballs running down the coast of PAlm Beach. We heard that there was a big ball just of the Hiton Dive Resort, stretching all the way to the Marriott, so the Pura Vida dive boat just ran over there with us, to see if we could get into it...
None of us had ever jumped into a bait ball before....It was a big adrenaline rush to be sure, and actually, very easy to do....they don't really move anywhere north or south down the beach, at any real speed....they just blast around in circles....they were at this spot for several hours, and 3 days later less than a 1/4 mile away.

Beach goers with mask, fins and snorkel, could easily swim out between 50 feet and 200 feet from shore, to get in to one of these bait balls.... I have another video I shot a few days after this one, where they were so close to the shore, some of the mullet were getting pushed up on to the beach in the waves.....depth of the main bait ball that day was around 5 feet deep!!!

This will be becoming a new "attraction" for Palm beach, as the dive operators have realized that this is eay to put people on, and many non-divers will want to try this as well !

This will be becoming a new "attraction" for Palm beach, as the dive operators have realized that this is eay to put people on, and many non-divers will want to try this as well !

If I am ever in the area and the opportunity arises, I would definitely check it out. I have been in large Silverside schools, but nothing that large.

Hi all new to forum and reading the snorkeling threads with interest. Have added some pics - they are not very good compared to those posted on this thread (I wish I had read all the tips here before I took these! ) I have just started taking pics on anything other than a disposable.
Having said that i hope you find them of interest.

March 11 Vilamendhoo Maldives

View attachment 105780

Green turtle

View attachment 105781

Manta

View attachment 105782

View attachment 105783

Distant whale shark

Trying again - all from Vilamendhoo

again not what I had in mind but will try again another day

Attachments

• P1000533.jpg
    P1000533.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 67
  • P1000155.jpg
    P1000155.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 79
  • P1000127.jpg
    P1000127.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P1000343.jpg
    P1000343.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P1000532.jpg
    P1000532.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 80
  • P1000180.jpg
    P1000180.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 74
  • P1000421.jpg
    P1000421.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 81
  • P1000537.jpg
    P1000537.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 78
  • P1000565.jpg
    P1000565.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 76
  • P1000592.jpg
    P1000592.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 65
  • P1000404.jpg
    P1000404.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 83
  • P1000172.jpg
    P1000172.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 66
oswald,

Nice shots! Looks like I have to plan a trip to the Indian Ocean. The creatures and corals look so "exotic" compared to the sights I am accustomed to from the Caribbean. A Manta is on my short list of marine animals to hopefully one day see, so thanks for sharing.

Also, I agree posting images here is not as simple and straightforward as it once was.

That first coral shot alone is my dream snorkel environment. Sweet!

It was fantastic on Vila - the best I have ever snorkelled in terms of reef all round the island close to shore and a fantastic drop off Corals mostly hard/ table as you can see and in good condition and huge variety of fish etc . Not great for those who are not comfortable in deep water but there are a few shallower spots

However for variety of coral and colour the best I have seen is in the Red Sea, I have just come back, again pics not fantastic but will post some when I can.

PS your snorkel site is great - I can see you have a real passion for snorkelling. I have never been to Cayman Is. but have snorkelled in Belize, Cozumel and some other Carib islands . Cozumel especially was great. Belize however was special as it was the first time I had ever snorkelled with sharks - I can still remember how long I just hovered between boat and above sea. Now of course I realise how priviliged I was .

Back
Top Bottom